TPG Community

Get online support

Is it possible to set up 2 modem/routers on the same NBN box?

n1k88
Level 2

We are currently using the supplied TPG Modem to access our internet. We are not happy with the performance of this router as we have to restart it on a daily basis as websites do not load.

We'd like to use our own router, however we are using TPG for our home phone.

Is it possible to use our own router as primary access to the NBN, while having the TPG router souly for the use of phone calls?

5 REPLIES 5
Will

Hi @n1k88,

Welcome to the Community!

I was able to check your account using your community details as reference and found out that you're on NBN HFC. You can only connect 1 device directly to the NBN box. In this case, it will have to be the TPG-supplied modem since the homephone will only work using the modem we provided.

If you wish to use your own router for WIFI connection, you will have to connect the router to the TPG modem (on one of the LAN ports) and use your router as a WIFI access point. Just make sure that WAN connection type in the router settings is set to Automatic or DHCP.

If you're amenable, we can have our Technical Team call you to check as to why you're having with internet connection when using the TPG modem. Just PM us your best contact number and preferred time for a call so we can have someone reach out to you.

Regards,

Will

n1k88
Level 2

Hi Will,

Can you do it the other way around? IE, have the the higher end router plugged into the NBN box and then plug the TPG router into the higher end router?
We are concerned that the issues will continue if we are still using the TPG router as the main access point which will render the higher end router as obsolete.

Will

Hi @n1k88,

Unfortunately, it can't be the other way around. In order for the phone to work, the modem we supplied should have the main authentication.

DogG
Level 2

Do you replace your TPG supplied modem for free if it fails?Im sick of having to frequenlty reset this modem to have decent connectivity.I feel that Im not getting fair service for what Im paying for.If I run speed test on my internet connection Im getting good speeds but that does not translate to smooth internet connectivity on any of our devices.Everytime I make calls Im told everything is ok but I can tell the ** thing is not functioning ok.It gets so hot I can cook an egg on it and the wifi signal from it is very weak.If you cant help me sort this out Im throwing it in the bin and find another service provider who can give me decent and reliable internet speed.my old adsl 2 was working better this garbage.

Natalierose84
Level 2
Hi DogG did you get any response to this? I’m having the same problem and can’t get hold of TPG. Have just bought a new modem to see if that fixed the issue but can’t get it connected to the internet so likely going to have to return it and keep persisting with the useless modem they have provided