TPG Community

Get online support

Kogan Smart TV not connecting to Wifi

mazja
Level 2

I have recently connected to NBN (previously NETGEAR)  and trying to connect a newly installed Kogan Smart TV to WiFi which is outside.  All mobiles, iPads, existing TVs connect but new TV only offers old NETGEAR which no longer exits.  New laptop also will not connect.  Whilst outside near TV my mobile & iPad connect fine.  

Will not connect either when trying to 'add' the network. Not sure which Encrypton to choose either, but none of them worked.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

7 REPLIES 7
BasilDV

Hi @mazja 

Welcome to TPG Community!

On your Kogan TV, are you able to delete the saved WiFi profile (Netgear) on it? Afterward, try to reconnect to the TP-Link WiFi network.

On your Laptop, try to do the same. Delete the previously saved network, then connect to the TP-Link WiFi.

The WiFi information is on the sticker at the back or bottom of the modem. SSID = WiFi name and you'll see the password or security key for it as well.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

mazja
Level 2

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately there was no option to delete the NETGEAR on the Kogan TV.  The laptop is not here at the moment to try.

The new NBN seems to be only connecting devices that were connected with the previous NETGEAR WiFi and not allowing any new devices to connect.  Is there a limit of how many devices can connect ??  Sorry for the silly questions, don't understand why this is happening.

Thanks

Will

Hi @mazja,

It appears that that problem is WIFI detection of the Kogan TV and the new laptop at this point. Are you able to go to the list of available WIFI networks and select your new WIFI network from there?

Regards,

Will

mazja
Level 2

Thanks Will, I have tried again this morning and the only WiFi option to select is our old NETGEAR Network with 3 bars which I thought means there is a detection.  It does not work to add our network either.

I have attached a pic, it also picks up a neighbors Telstra Wifi as well. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated  Smiley Sad

Will

Thanks for the screenshot, @mazja.

I'd like to go back to the information you provided on a past post. You mentioned that the Ipad and phone connects to your WIFI network in the same location where the TV is, correct? What WIFI name are they connected to? Is it the one with the _5g or the one without? Your modem provides 2 WIFI names. So I'd like also to know if the Ipad and the phone are able to detect both names in the same spot where the TV is.

mazja
Level 2

Thanks again Will, I've finally worked it out  Smiley Happy   When installing the router I did not enable the network without the '5G'.  The outside TV is now allowing me to connect to  the network without the '5G' so at least we have some internet now.  Mobiles and iPads work with the 5G out near the TV, but it won't connect to that one.

Cheers for your advice today 

Will

You're welcome, @mazja. Glad to know that it's working.

If you had the TV for some time, it's most likely that it wasn't initially built to be compatible with the 5GHz WIFI network, hence, why you need to use the other network name (which is the 2.4GHz).