TPG Community

Get online support

NBN 50 HCF Router Setup

allmaster
Level 2

Hi,

We are getting NBN tomorrow (the NBN HCF Router is turning up today from StarTrack).

I skimmed the documentation on the setup i was provided, please visit: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/NBN-HFC-Setup-General-Setup/ba-p/61

Iam leasing a small room in a large building, and my ADSL phone line connects currently to a point in the building, then a single phone line runs though the building into my (small) room.

Will NBN Connection box live in my rental small room along with the WiFi router, and how will they connect up to the outside, given that there is no internal 'ethernet' from the communications room in the building to my room, only a phone line at present?

Thanks in advance.

Eddy 

7 REPLIES 7
Riezl

Hi @allmaster, your address is classified by NBN Co. as Service Class 22, which means that there's no internal cables or wall plate, thus an NBN technician has been booked to install it.

You will be advised by the technician regarding the job that needs to be done for the installation of your NBN HFC service.

You will receive a notification via email once the service is installed and activated and you can simply follow the guide above to set up the TPG modem.

Let us know should you need further assistance. Thank you.

allmaster
Level 2
Hi Riezi,

Thanks,

Sorry but I am still confused.

I just inboxed the TPG modem, it said there are two options in the quick start guide (attaches), should I follow instruction 1a or 1b?

Is the technician going to sort out the connection up to the phone line point such that 1a works?

Cheers
Eddy
Riezl

Hi @allmaster, the NBN technician will install connection box and from there you can connect the TPG supplied modem.

If you have no Pay TV service, you can simply follow the setup below:

For setup without Pay TV.jpg

Let us know should you have further queries. Thank you.

allmaster
Level 2

Thanks for that information, but that is not answering my question.

My question, is 1a or 1b valid in my scenario as pictured on the getting started guide (shown photo below).

Getting Started Guide provided with modem.Getting Started Guide provided with modem.

incidentally, 1b seems impossible for two reasons.

1.The modem has arrived without a connection box. 

2.Also if there was a connection box, where / how would it connect via WAN - there is actually no WAN outlet in the apartment/Suite no 5, only a phone outlet, so the modem (which will live in Suite 5) cannot be connected in any way to a WAN outlet.

Please clarify, 1a, or 1b, and if 1b, then how would this occur, e.g. would the connection box (which i do not have) be connected to a phone outlet etc.

Thanks in advance.

Riezl

You need to follow the instructions under 1b, @allmaster.

Your address is NBN HFC serviceable. Cable/Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)  is a network technology that allows access to fast broadband services using a combination of fibre and coaxial cable to connect your home to the NBN network.

NBN Co. has identified that there's no internal tier cables or coaxial outlet/wall plate, thus they have booked a technician to install it.

The technician will also install the connection box (which has the WAN port) and it's where the TPG modem should be connected.

allmaster
Level 2

Once again, thanks for replying, but I did not really get the clarity i was looking for, so i will pose more questions, and thanks in advance for your prompt reply.

1. Where the connection box comes from? (I assume the technician brings one, as i mentioned I was not sent one.)

2. Having the NBN boxes installed in the right place is critical, so where the connection box is installed? (inside suite 5 will be my request, suite 5 is on the inner part of the building, hence Q3.)

3. Assuming the Utility Box (which you referred to as the 'coaxial outlet/wall plate') is placed near where the existing phone/ADSL line connects to the building, then the technician would then run an additional Ethernet or Coax cable inside the building from the Utility Box to the Connection Box which will be installed in Suite 5. Correct?

FYI - I did some research and found a guide (telstra) See Guide (pdf) link here: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/broadband/pdf/NBN_getting_it_right_guide.pdf 

Thanks Again! :-)

Riezl

Apologies for the confusion, @allmaster.

1. Where the connection box comes from? (I assume the technician brings one, as i mentioned I was not sent one.)

The NBN connection box is from NBN Co. and the technician will bring it and install it on your premises.

2. Having the NBN boxes installed in the right place is critical, so where the connection box is installed? (inside suite 5 will be my request, suite 5 is on the inner part of the building, hence Q3.)

It will depend on your premises cabling setup and we suggest that you wait for the technician to arrive today so you can also advise him your preferred location.

3. Assuming the Utility Box (which you referred to as the 'coaxial outlet/wall plate') is placed near where the existing phone/ADSL line connects to the building, then the technician would then run an additional Ethernet or Coax cable inside the building from the Utility Box to the Connection Box which will be installed in Suite 5. Correct?

The utility box is outside the premises. The coaxial wall plate or outlet will be placed inside the premises.

Technically, the technician will run a cable from the utility box outside up to the point where the coaxial outlet will be installed, from the coaxial outlet, the nbn connection box will be setup as well.

As of this point we are not aware how your internal cabling is set up, but surely the technician will advise you if there are additional works that needs to be done.