NBN 50 more like NBN 0.8

Jnoalka
Level 2
For the last week since upgrading from nbn 12 to nbn 50 with the promise that it’s “4 times faster than what I’m on” I have never had such shocking internet. To now be requiring internet even more than ever with people freaking out about the corona virus a lot of things like uni/work are testing online possibilities. My drop outs are more frequent than ever, I have run speed tests near and far the most I’ve been able to get is 6mbps! I was getting 7 on the nbn 12!!!! I have tried a wired connection, reset, unplugged for 5mins, even run an extender! I am at wits end trying to troubleshoot. I am seriously considering changing companies as I’ve had such poor internet for quite some time with TPG not to mention some days you just don’t get internet.
5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @Jnoalka

For customers experiencing any issues with their NBN service, we recommend the best thing to do first is check if there's an outage on the NBN network.

We have created this article that can guide you on How to Check for NBN Network Outage

If there are no known outages in your area, customers can proceed with the troubleshooting steps indicated on this link : https://www.tpg.com.au/support/nbn-hfc-cable/problems_speed_nbn_hfc

Also, we've created some articles that will help you troubleshoot and improve your home network.

You may check these links:

In your case, we understand that you've contacted our Tech team and after resetting both NBN NTD box and TPG router, connection using the 5GHz improved to 46Mbps Down.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

BasilDV

Brendan3078
Level 2
Try changing your channels in your modem.
Jnoalka
Level 2
That’s correct I did contact them. That was run on the 5ghz and unfortunately because the range is so short I my devices in other parts of the room can’t connect to the 5ghz. So while it may look like I’m getting 4mbps that is only if I am in that room - it was a test. However, I am limited to using the 2.4 which again I think on a good hit I got 15mbps which is still poor. In the end it was noted to a limitation in the area - again poor excuse! The techie was great he tried to troubleshoot with me. I’m not sure if I need to invest in a mesh system as the home is large and the concrete walls between floors might be a barrier??
Jnoalka
Level 2
I have also done that - unfortunately the same result. Thanks for the response!
BasilDV

Hi @Jnoalka

Based on your description of your premises, you may need to invest in a Wireless extender or a Mesh system to boost the connection in your home.

BasilDV