I had TPG FTTN NBN50 installed yesterday morning having upgraded from TPG ADSL2 and using the TPG supplied TP-link Archer VR1600v NBN modem and using ethernet connection only (wifi turned off) and with no other devices connected (apart from home phone to the modem which works fine) I only achieved an initial download speed (according to TPG website speed test connecting to TPG Sydney) of 20Mbps at approx 11am, this improved later that day to 25Mbps and by 7:13pm to 28Mbps.
I contacted TPG who advised of an internal issue and I was SMSed that normal service was available at 11:43pm however since 6:47am this morning running TPG website speed tests hourly still show a download rate of 28Mbps and downloads run only slightly faster than with ADSL2.
I've tried a different model TP-link NBN modem configued for TPG, a second disused phone connection, different cables and briefly suspended antivirus software but the speed hasn't changed.
I've emailed TPG with details but haven't received a reply yet.
Can someone please assist?
Welcome to the community!
I am sorry to know that you're having difficulty with the service of your new NBN connection.
I would love to help and see what causing slow download speed of your service. I went ahead use your community details to pull up the account unfortunately no match.
Feel free to PM me your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).
On the other hand, we did an article about basic troubleshooting for download speed please see link below.
Thanks for sending me your account details and providing additional details on this case. I can see that this has been raised to our Engineering Team and currently still under investigation.
As per the escalated fault, our Engineering Team will organize a TPG Technician to for further testing. I will made follow up on this further updates will be provided by one of our Engineers via SMS or Phone call.
Sorry for the late reply.
I had a TPG technician visit on 14/01/18 who was unable to find which of the 4 sockets was the first socket and when checking them found that they were each star wired which leads to reflections and dropouts and low sync speeds but also found some other unspecified annomally that he didn't think would affect me as I'm only around 60m to 100m from the node and suggested that I get recabling done from the telstra pit outside to a single socket and recommended a registered cabler (however when I checked a website of Australian registered cablers I couldn't find any reference to him) and an approximate cost of $300 for the recabling.
At the moment I'm getting slightly better than ADSL2 speeds ie better than what I previously had and although TPG have offered for me to drop down to the next speed down, with the absense of the NBN25 plan the NBN12 plan is the next lowest but that would be a noticeable drop from my present speed (around 25Mbps to 30Mbps) so the present speed is preferable although not ideal.
I'm still searching for the first socket at the moment and tracing one of the sockets (it has the highest speed) cabling through the ceiling cavity to see where it goes to connect to the other sockets cabling although the present hot weather is hampering this. This wll determine if I just get the other sockets disconnected or go down the recabling route.
Many thanks for all your help.