TPG Community

Get online support

Nbn connection box location in new house

Alicetang
Level 2
Hi, I heard mostly the connection box will be installed in the garage as they follow adls phone cable, is that true? Can I have the box in living room? Or is there any restrictions? The living room has an external wall. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Alicetang
Level 2
Forgot to mention, my place is FTTP
BasilDV

Good day @Alicetang,

Welcome to TPG Community!

For the NBN FTTP technology, if the NTD (Network Terminating Device) Box is not yet installed in the premises, an NBN technician will be sent to install it, which requires for you to be on the premises since they'll be providing you the options on where to have it.

If the option given includes your living room, then it will be installed there.

Kind regards,

Alicetang
Level 2
Thanks for replying. As NTD is outside the house, does that mean NTD and NBN connection box have to be on the same wall?
BasilDV

Hi @Alicetang,

The NTD and NBN box is just the same, unless you are talking about the router as your NBN box?

Once the NTD box is installed, the NBN router needs to be connected to the designated port of it for you to be able to receive the internet service. The NBN router that we are providing our customers comes with an Ethernet cable (around 3 metres) which you need to use to connect it to the NTD box.

With the said cable, eventually the NBN router will need to be close to your NTD box.

You do have an option to purchase a longer Ethernet cable for you to place the NBN router to any location of your house as long as the other end is connected to the NTD box.

If you need to relocate the NTD box, you need to contact NBN Co directly to request for it to be moved, however, fees may apply.

Kind regards,

Alicetang
Level 2
Sorry I mean NBN utility box and NTD box. Do they have to be very close or on the same wall?
Mc_Gerald

Hi @Alicetang,

The basic exclusions are more than 30m from the lead in, wet areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry, pool areas, poorly ventilated cupboards, ceiling or wall cavity and needs to be near a dedicated power source.

Thanks!

Mc