Nbn seperate dwelling

Meweaverbee
Level 2
Hello.
I live on a property in a rental which is a second dwelling. I want to get NBN but my house is not council approved. It also a fair distance from the owners house. Is there some way i can get NBN. We can't get any wireless so we are a bit stuck.
5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @Meweaverbee ,

Thanks for raising this to us. What type of NBN service is available in the area? NBN Co. only allows one service per address. If there is an existing TPG-NBN service on the main house we recommend to use an Ethernet cable or Additional Router as an extension.

Regards,

@Meweaverbee wrote:
Hello.
I live on a property in a rental which is a second dwelling. I want to get NBN but my house is not council approved. It also a fair distance from the owners house. Is there some way i can get NBN. We can't get any wireless so we are a bit stuck.

Meweaverbee
Level 2
Yes an ethernet cable would be fine exept that its maybe 400m between the houses and through the forest.
david64
Level 15

Hi Meweaverbee.

When you say "can't get any wireless", do you mean you have no mobile phone reception?

Otherwise, fixed wireless might have been an option.

I think 400m might be beyond the ability of a wifi booster/extender esp. since the other end has to be able to transmit back 400m. (Going through a forest, the random placement of trees would equate to some number of walls in a house that the signal would have to get through.)

Last resort might be satellite, eg. Sky Muster (ironic because that is an NBN service and they won't provide a second service to your address). Several providers have plans.

Meweaverbee
Level 2
Hey David.
Yes...I say I cant get wireless because of the forest. We currently have a Cell Fi booster and access internet throuh Aldi Mobile on my phone...but the signal is still weak and it means I cant use my phone while my son uses the internet. We also run out of data pretty quick on a phone deal. Ive never heard of Skymuster but wouldnt it be the same problem given that its NBN,as in there is already NBN here as the owner has it. The problem is NBN wont provide a second service.
david64
Level 15

Hi Meweaverbee.

Is your mobile phone the only one in your house?
Does the Cell Fi only support a single mobile phone or is it locked to Aldi Mobile?
Regarding the issue of a second service, do you know what type of NBN connection is in the main house? You can find out by checking the address at nbn.com.au.
You would have to ask a Sky Muster provider about a second service. There is only a dish, 2 cables and a satellite modem to install. You might be able to pay for these yourself so they may not care about a second service. You then need a wifi router and the provider might include one in the plan