TPG Community

Get online support

Need help with new NBN connection which sux

Nbnsux
Level 2
I’ve had technician come and connect to a telstra box on the outside of my home. My live line is the Optus line on the other side of the house and I explained this. He went ahead with the telstra box however the two phone ports in the house are to the Optus box! My husband has attempted to install a port for telstra and nbn is apparently active. It is sooo slow and drops out and has very limited range. It’s not good enough. I want to be paid for putting up with this! I also don’t have my 2nd phone port now. So why can’t it be connected through the Optus line!???? Is that the reason the service sux? We have FTTC but it has to be better than this! I’ve been waiting years to get rid of my useless Optus service now this 😩😢 please help
43 REPLIES 43
Will

Hi @Nbnsux

Welcome to the Community!

I have located your account using your community details and was able to review your case.

From what I gathered, your address was tagged as Service Class 32 prior to the order. This means that the type of service that will be provided is NBN-FTTC and that there's already a copper pair that can be used to connect your service with. So the NBN technician used the said lead-in cable to install the NBN service. In addition, I was able to check that there's only 1 lead-in cable going to your premises based on NBNCo's records. Is your service with Optus, using a coaxial connection?

We performed tests and we're able to detect that the line is capable of getting up to 100Mbps. Furthermore, your modem is showing a download transfer rate of 48.91Mbps which is within the normal range for your plan of NBN50.

It's possible that the trouble you're experiencing could be WIFI-related or distance between modem and your devices. For us to have a better idea on how we can help you make some improvements to your connection, can you provide us the following:

1. Screenshot of speedtest results (wireless and hardwired connection)
  2. How far are your WIFI devices from the modem? How many signal bars are you able to get?
  3. Which WIFI frequency are you connected to? 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Regards,

Nbnsux
Level 2
Nbnsux
Level 2
Nbnsux
Level 2
You can see the bars of service in the photos. We don’t have an Ethernet cable to try the other way would have to get to the shops and buy one
Nbnsux
Level 2
Yes our active line prior to this is Optus fibre/coaxial cable. Is there a reason that line couldn’t be used? I would assume because it is installed professions it would be the best connection and it also has our 2 ports so we could place the modem in the middle of the house rather than the front of the house. My husband has been testing the service continually and it has hit the 40 speed you mention but it doesn’t stay there and it is 100% unreliable, unstable and 99.9% of the time slower than dial up. Something is definitely wrong and it’s not good enough. It’s 2019 and it’s meant to be reliable and efficient. No point paying for an upgrade when I can’t get the basic speeds. I won’t pay for this at all until it’s fixed and I’ll be going to the ombudsman if it’s not fixed perfectly by 10 August. I appreciate your investigation it’s the most help I’ve received so far but I’d like a solution now.
Ahra_G

Thanks for providing the screenshots, @Nbnsux. It is best if we can have our Technical Team to assist you in performing troubleshooting and determine any underlying cause of the speed issue. 

May I know your most convenient time to receive a call so I can organise a contact to be made?

Regards,

Ahra_G

Nbnsux
Level 2
Thanks is 6:30pm Monday possible?
Ahra_G

Sure thing, @Nbnsux

Call back is all set for tomorrow, 29 July 2019 on the mobile number we have on file and that is between 6.30PM - 7.00PM AEST. 

Should you have further queries or requires assistance, feel free to let us know. 

Thanks! 

Nbnsux
Level 2
Thanks here’s some more info. Speed test attached is on the brand new pc I bought last week and it’s sitting on the desk next to the modem. The other tests were on my new iPhone XS. So it’s not my devices... hmm turns out my jpeg file is now invalid and when converted it’s too big to attach funny I sent some the other day... anyway it was ping 8 download 2 upload 3 and I can email if required