TPG modem

SOLVED Go to solution
Ollieandmel
Level 2
When setting up my plan I was assured that my current modem in my rental would be able to switch over, therefore I purchased a data only NBN plan, when going through set up I have realised the modem is not unlocked from its previous account/tenants and I cannot get into it, can I order a modem now directly from TPG? And get a new one?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@Ollieandmel . If you turn the Telstra modem off, remove the SIM, it may restart in normal router mode.

Data only plan does not use VLAN ID which simplifies setup. 

Settings are PPPoE, TPG username (with or without @tpg.com.au) and password.

TPG can sell you a standard router, or you can buy nearly any other one you prefer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @Ollieandmel . If your rental has a NBN box, you can't login to it; there is no config possible. The NBN box stays with the house when the resident moves.

The previous tenant would have taken the wifi router they used since they own it. Most routers can be configured to get internet for any provider, although things like VOIP won't work. Doing factory reset will return the router to the settings shown on the label.

What type of NBN connection do you have?

Ollieandmel
Level 2
So the previous tenants have left their router, with their own sim (Telstra 2smart modem) I can try a factory reset I suppose on that, but i assume their information on the sim is there forever. Since being Telstra won’t let me unlock it. also have the NBN FTTC box.
Thanks for the help-
david64
Level 15

@Ollieandmel . If you turn the Telstra modem off, remove the SIM, it may restart in normal router mode.

Data only plan does not use VLAN ID which simplifies setup. 

Settings are PPPoE, TPG username (with or without @tpg.com.au) and password.

TPG can sell you a standard router, or you can buy nearly any other one you prefer.