TPG Community

Get online support

Using own modem for FTTB NBN

belvianbn
Level 2

Is it possible that TPG have blocked the use of own modems for FTTB NBN?

I have purchased 2x different VDSL Modems and entered correct settings, but all that happens is the DSL Light flashes.

D-LINK DSL G225 and Linksys X6200 were purchased

VLAN = 2

connection = VDSL PPPoE

username = myusername@tpg.com.au

password = TPG Password

TPG Modem works fine but is no good to us as we run our own SIP Server and the TPG TP-LINK Modem blocks the SIP Ports.

Urgent help would be greatly apprecitated!

Scott

15 REPLIES 15
BasilDV

Hi @belvianbn,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We don't do such thing with the service of our customers. You can use a different brand of VDSL modem, but the TPG VoIP phone will not work as it is embedded in the firmware of the device that we are providing our customers.

I was able to locate an account using your community details and seen that there's a case that is being handled by our Engineering team. They were trying to contact you, but you were unreachable. Do you have any preferred time for them to try again? You may also inform them that you have a different modem to try.

Kind regards,

belvianbn
Level 2
Hi thanks for the reply. yes sorry I was out of the office when they called. Any time between 6am-3pm tomorrow (Tuesday) is fine

Scott
Riezl

Hi @belvianbn, we can see that our Technical Escalations Team has been in touch and discussed the concerns raised.

We can see that you have been advised to contact DLink for further support as the device is still unable to connect to our network despite all troubleshooting.

Nevertheless, you can still use the internet with the TPG supplied modem.

Should you have further queries, feel free to drop us a message. Thank you.

belvianbn
Level 2

Problem solved by purchasing a TP-LINK modem (same brand that TPG supply) All is working now including own SIP Service

BasilDV

Thank you for the update @belvianbn.

Glad to know that everything is working now using your new TP-Link modem.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Have a great day.

Regards,

fshankar
Level 2

hello i would like to use my moderm , because tpg modern has lots of problem 2g and 5g cutting off wireless

whom to ring to use my own moderm set up

BasilDV

Hi @fshankar,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Using a third party modem, the VoIP phone service will not work.

You may contact the manufacturer of your own modem to guide you with the configuration. Make sure that the settings are correct and the modem is compatible with NBN service.

If you would like to configure your own modem, then you need to make sure that the settings are set as follows;

VLAN = 2

connection = VDSL PPPoE

username = myusername@tpg.com.au

password = TPG Password

You may check this list of compatible modem with the NBN service. (https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router)

If you don't have a new modem as of yet, you may check our community link with some guide on how to improve your WiFi connection at home. Click here.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

aceracer
Level 3
belvianbn,can you share which TP Link modem you purchased?
chaoticminions
Level 3

im have fftn but noticed that u can use any modem.... i have signed up for both aka nbn and voice but only wanna use the net will i get the same problems as the other user had if i use a different modem and not tpg's