TPG Community

Get online support

Want to switch to NBN, looking for help/advice

SOLVED Go to solution
Matto
Level 2

Hello,

I'm planning on changing over to the NBN, but I can't figure out whether I should buy a new modem, router or modem router, since our current ADSL equipment isn't compatible.

After searching for our property on the NBN site, I found out we have a HFC connection. According to this TPG installation video, we should already have a black connection box.

We were never supplied with one of those when the technician came to install the NBN, but I kind of remember him saying we just have to plug into the central port of the patch panel in the garage. I just can't remember if he was talking about plugging a modem or router into it.

Which makes me think that we could have FTTN/FTTB, which would be more like this setup...

Just out of interest I went through a couple of steps in the process of switching to the NBN on the TPG site, to see what equipment they would send out. It says TPG will send out a 4 port NBN router.

Do I still need to get a connection box, or have TPG detected that I only need a router? If so, I’ll start heading down the path of buying a decent router. 

Thanks for any help, I didn't think it would be this confusing!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_M

Hi @Matto 

Ok...so that address you provided will be NBN-HFC.

It will need an NBN-NTD + Modem.

The adsl modem you are using may not be compatible with NBN. NBN is classed as VDSL (Your currently on ADSL). Not all ADSL modems are VDSL.

I can not see an order/transfer on our systems to this new address.

If you transfer, we will provide a new VDSL modem to you.

If NBN has worked at this address before, there should be an NTD on site.

If there isnt, note it in your order and we will provide a replacement NTD also.

thanks,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
David_M

Hi @Matto 

Thanks for your query!

Let me have a look for you, and I will get back to you ASAP.

There is also a new ''TPG Mobile APP'' to help you with various trouble shooting and account issues, via a mobile phone app.
https://www.tpg.com.au/download

Regards,
David_M

David_M

Can you PM me the address for where the new NBN service will be working at?

thanks,

David_M

Hi @Matto 

Ok...so that address you provided will be NBN-HFC.

It will need an NBN-NTD + Modem.

The adsl modem you are using may not be compatible with NBN. NBN is classed as VDSL (Your currently on ADSL). Not all ADSL modems are VDSL.

I can not see an order/transfer on our systems to this new address.

If you transfer, we will provide a new VDSL modem to you.

If NBN has worked at this address before, there should be an NTD on site.

If there isnt, note it in your order and we will provide a replacement NTD also.

thanks,

Matto
Level 2

Hi @David_M  

Thanks for getting back, that all makes sense. That's correct, I know the ADSL modem we have isn't compatible with the NBN, I was more trying to figure out what sort of connection we had so I could decide on what type of modem or router I should buy (I haven't seen the best reviews on the equipment provided).

There isn't an NTD on site, just the beige coloured NBN utility box outside the front door, so will make a note of that when I place an order for transfer.

Thanks again for the prompt reply - much appreciated!

Matt

David_M

Hi @Matto 

Happy to help out.

Thanks,

reginaldpeni
Level 2
I won't to close my account my modem hasten work for 5months
Ahra_G

Hi @reginaldpeni

We're sorry to learn that you wish to disconnect your service with us. 

Based on the recent update on the account, a Case Manager is assigned to your case and will be contacting you to work towards a resolution. 

I would also recommend to reply directly to the officer's email for direct assistance. 

Regards,

Ahra_G