TPG Community

Get online support

equipment requirements for NBN

SOLVED Go to solution
leonstrauss
Level 3

Hello TPG

I have a question about equipment requirements for TPG's NBN products.
Your website https://www.tpg.com.au/nbn states:

"Our NBN plans include a dual band 802.11ac Wi-Fi modem which provides amazing Wi-Fi speed and coverage."

If I purchase a TPG NBN service, do I require just one single piece of equipment i.e. the Wi-Fi modem referred to above?
At my address, the NBN service is FTTC.
I assume the connections would be like this ...

[ wall socket ]--- telephone cable ---[ TPG NBN modem/router ]---> Ethernet or Wi-Fi to my local devices

i.e. I simply disconnect my ADSL modem and replace it with an NBN modem.
Is my assumption correct?

Or are the connections like this, which I have seen with NBN offerings from other NBN providers ...

[ wall socket ]--- telephone cable ---[ NBN modem/router ]--- Ethernet cable ---[ existing Wi-Fi modem ]--> Ethernet or Wi-Fi to my local devices

In this configuration, the NBN modem/router does not provide any Wi-Fi connectivity.
And the existing Wi-Fi modem requires a WAN port to allow Ethernet connection to the NBN modem.

My current ADSL Modem/router (provided by TPG) is a TP-link TD-W9970 v2.
This device does not have a WAN Ethernet port.

I hope you can clarify these points for me.
Thank you for reading this.

leon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @leonstrauss . Your second layout is the one for FTTC.

The "NBN modem/router" (NBN connection box-NDD0300) is owned and provided by NBNCo.

Your existing W9970 won't work with FTTC (it would have on FTTN). TPG can supply a wifi router (TP-Link Archer VR1600) which provides a VOIP function, or you can use some other router (VOIP won't work).

If you use some other router, it needs to support a setting of VLAN ID=2 for vlan tagging; not all routers do this.

You could use the W9970 as a cabled extender to the VR1600.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
david64
Level 15

Hi @leonstrauss . Your second layout is the one for FTTC.

The "NBN modem/router" (NBN connection box-NDD0300) is owned and provided by NBNCo.

Your existing W9970 won't work with FTTC (it would have on FTTN). TPG can supply a wifi router (TP-Link Archer VR1600) which provides a VOIP function, or you can use some other router (VOIP won't work).

If you use some other router, it needs to support a setting of VLAN ID=2 for vlan tagging; not all routers do this.

You could use the W9970 as a cabled extender to the VR1600.