TPG Community

Get online support

trying to connect a second modem

1959cdamici
Level 2

Hi, I recently moved into a new house and currently have the NBN connected there. from what I can see beside the wall socket (which says - tel/internet line in) is another socket that reads (to the unit). I have a second unit on my property that I want to have internet access for. so it's been properly installed I believve but when I connect another modem in the unit and I search for the wifi- it finds the modem ubt says there is no internet. can anyone help me? I phoned the tech service this morning but to no satisfaction. I know the last owneres of the property have internet in both locations.

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi @1959cdamici ,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, please correct me if I am wrong what I understand is you want to connect a second modem/router to the 2nd floor/unit of the property.  The 2nd modem will only broadcast the Wi-Fi signal but it will not have Internet connection, using a different 2nd modem will require a separate Internet account/service.

What type of NBN technology is rolled out in your area? If NBN-FTTP is available in your location it is possible to open a new account using the available UNI-D port. Unfortunately, NBN FTTC, HFC, FTTN will only allow 1 service per premises.

To better understand the situation, please post a photo of the port where the 2nd modem is connected to.

Regards,

@1959cdamici wrote:

Hi, I recently moved into a new house and currently have the NBN connected there. from what I can see beside the wall socket (which says - tel/internet line in) is another socket that reads (to the unit). I have a second unit on my property that I want to have internet access for. so it's been properly installed I believve but when I connect another modem in the unit and I search for the wifi- it finds the modem ubt says there is no internet. can anyone help me? I phoned the tech service this morning but to no satisfaction. I know the last owneres of the property have internet in both locations.

david64
Level 15

Hi @1959cdamici . Supposing you don't have FTTP.

If the unit had it's own phone number, it's strange it missed out on its own NBN connection unless you are HFC.

How do you feel about sharing your internet connection with the unit? Connect the "unit" outlet to lan port on your router. Get another router for the unit and set it as an access point. Depending on the config, connect the outlet in the unit to the wan port or a lan port on router.