TPG Community

Get online support

utility box A connection box for the nbn ™ lead -in copper cable , located on the outside of the

augerwood
Level 2

can the utility box be located inside the dwelling

7 REPLIES 7
BasilDV

Good day @augerwood,

Do you mind me asking, what do you mean about the utility box? Where is it currently located?

Based on your account, you are under our NBN FTTN in which we are using the nearest Node to your premises, but there's no utility box in between.

Please provide us more details of your inquiry for us to give you correct information.

Kind regards,

augerwood
Level 2

sorry my mistake, on signing up I recieved an e mail notifying me that I did not need to be home when the technician visited my dwelling to fit the box, From your reply it appears that the NBN connection is from the exchange direct to my home, is that correct?, I am using a computer in my library as my phone went dead at 10 am on the 30/01. thanks for your help. john

BasilDV

Hi @augerwood,

NBN FTTN connection is a way of delivering access to fast broadband by running fibre-optic cable to a neighbourhood node/cabinet and from there using the existing copper network to the end-user premises.

Since we are using the NBN service, the phone service will work when your handset is connected directly to the modem that we provided.

Let us know if we can provide any further assistance.

Kind regards,

avwood
Level 2

Dear tpg community

I need your advice please.

I have been with tpg for many many years for ADSL2+

Our 3 storey 18 unit apartment has just been connected with HFC coaxial cable in the ceiling.

As a member of our body corporate I wanted to issue advice to all unit holders that when nbn come they must not drill or install anything on the common property, such as external walls and staircases. However on reading nbn diagrams it talks about a utility box outside the peoperty and a connection box inside each unit.

That makes me think that they will want to drill in staircases.

Currently our HFC cable installed by nbn is in the ceiling and we have been told by that nbn installer that units can all be wired via the brick cavities in the building.

As such do we still have to have a utlity box outside every individual unit in the staircases or can one utility box be installed for the whole compef of 18 units downstairs in the utility room where the telephone lines come in to the box that sends the cables to each individual uint and the hfc cable to the roof.

Please can you advise me urgently as our building has just become available for nbn.

Thank you so much,

Dr Anthony Wood

avwood
Level 2

I have been told we are now hfc cabled when nbn came and installed a new cabling to the main phone inlet to the building.

Diagrams on the nbn page show a utlity box installed outside the unit to a connection box inside the unit. I am sorry. I don't know how else to explan this.

Below is the email I snt a few minutes ago with more details:

Dear tpg community

I need your advice please.

I have been with tpg for many many years for ADSL2+

Our 3 storey 18 unit apartment has just been connected with HFC coaxial cable in the ceiling.

As a member of our body corporate I wanted to issue advice to all unit holders that when nbn come they must not drill or install anything on the common property, such as external walls and staircases. However on reading nbn diagrams it talks about a utility box outside the peoperty and a connection box inside each unit.

That makes me think that they will want to drill in staircases.

Currently our HFC cable installed by nbn is in the ceiling and we have been told by that nbn installer that units can all be wired via the brick cavities in the building.

As such do we still have to have a utlity box outside every individual unit in the staircases or can one utility box be installed for the whole compef of 18 units downstairs in the utility room where the telephone lines come in to the box that sends the cables to each individual uint and the hfc cable to the roof.

Please can you advise me urgently as our building has just become available for nbn.

Thank you so much,

Dr Anthony Wood

avwood
Level 2

This is the diagram I was referring to in my earlier email. Now attached.

I am no good at computers. I hope you can see the diagram

Riezl

Hi @avwood,

Welcome to TPG Community!

The diagram you have shown above is for NBN FTTP service and please be advised that there's a different set up for NBN HFC service.

If you could PM us your complete address, we can check what type of NBN service is really available and how it will be installed.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community