TPG Community

Get online support

Ordering a Sim when you don’t have an Australian phone number

karenza
Level 2
I am visiting Australia for a few months as a tourist. I tried to order a sim from the sim only plan, but it needs me to input an Australian phone number to order it - and I don’t have one.
Is it possible to order this sim if you don’t already have an Australian number? If so, how?
Please don’t ask me to private message you for a phone call - I am not able to do this. I have seen a couple of other people asking the same question and they are just told to PM and wait for a callback. Please just answer here.
10 REPLIES 10
david64
Level 15

Hi @karenza . You might be able to buy an Australian SIM card in your home country (or buy one when you arrive), cheapest plan you can find. Once in Australia, you can port that number to TPG. They mail their SIM card to an address.

BasilDV

Hi @karenza 

The system requires an active Australian mobile number to order a TPG SIM.

If you have a family member or friend in Australia, you may ask if you can use their number for the registration. You can change it afterwards.

david64 advise will do as well.

BasilDV

karenza
Level 2
Thanks for your reply.

Will the number I put in be attached to the sim or will I get a new number with the sim?
BasilDV

You'll get a new number. The number that you'll use is for notification only and for the activation of the new SIM.

karenza
Level 2
I managed to make it to payment details, but on the credit/debit card payment option only the name field is visible (have tried this on three devices), and on the direct debit option it won’t accept my sort code (BSB) presumably because it isn’t Australian. Is it only possible to pay via an Australian bank?
BasilDV

Hi @karenza 

Currently, we only take payments from Visa, Mastercard, Amex or Diner's club.

BasilDV

karenza
Level 2
I have both visa and mastercard but I still have the problems I mentioned above (wont accept non australian, no card detail feilds)
BasilDV

There's no difference if you use a non AU card as long as it is Visa or Mastercard.

Can you close the browser, then open it up again? Try a different browser if possible.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDv

karenza
Level 2
I have tried on my phone ipad and laptop on safari firefox and chrome, in all of them only the name field was visible on the card payment option. Is there a problem with the site?