TPG Community

Get online support

Complaint: 3 weeks since signup, no service and inconsistent support

SOLVED Go to solution
lizray
Level 2

Spoiler

SOLVED - I scoured these forums and eventually found the following fix which has worked. Many thanks to  who came up with this fix for my TP-Link AC1200 router.

1. Make sure the modem is connected the NBN with an ethernet cable which goes from the socker marked WAN on the modem to one of the active outputs on the NBN wall mounted box.
  2. By default all the TP-link wireless modems are configured for phone connection, e.g ADSL or VDSL.  So when you connect them and select the Internet option you only see those two options.But, we want neither of these!
  3. Go to the advanced option in the settings page for the modem and change the "operation mode" to Wireless Router Mode and select save/reboot
  4. After reboot, reconnect to the modem and select "internet".  You should see that the options for ADSL or VDSL have now dissappeared. Select the correct options for your ISP (probably PPPoE,your user name and password) then connect.
  5. You should see the modem connect to the internet.

This is a formal complaint. I signed up to TPG and was charged for my first payment of $69.99 on 6 July 2021. As of writing I still don't have any internet connection and have been passed around multiple times with no accountability from TPG's end and no-one seems able to help. This is my current plan: NBN FTTC SL Bundle Fast.

When I first signed up we went through setup with my own router (which had worked just fine with my previous ISP). I spoke to a few technicians and tried different methods of troubleshooting but ultimately couldn't get a connection. The last technician I spoke with explained it was an account issue - apparently they had signed me up to TPG mobile accidentally. He said he would escalate. I recieved daily texts from TPG to say progress was underway etc. I was ok at this point and happy with the up front and honest communication. 

The last text I received from TPG is from Thursday 22 July and it said I would be updated within 48 hours. I call them today, 26 July and spoke to a lady named Karen who said she was a case manager...

• I gave a summary of what had happened so far.
  • She bought up my details and said my account was activated and installed and should be working.
  • I told her it wasn't working, and I hadn't heard from TPG in some days. I wasn't happy with not having any internet service, especially during Sydney's current lockdown it was very frustrating.
  • She told me she was sorry, but I would need to send back my router to the manufacturer as it must be faulty, and there was nothing she could do.
  • I said I had previously set up this router with my old ISP and it didn't have any issues so that didn't make sense to me.
  • She told me again, the internet was working fine and I would need to send back the router.
  • I told the internet was definitely not working. I had two routers that I had already tried with, so I don't think that's the problem.
  • We went in circles for some time, I asked if she could send me another router or provide a technician to visit. She told me no. I asked if I went and purchased another router and it still didn't work - what then? She didn't answer.
  • Eventually I asked to speak to someone else and she said that I could hang up and call again. 
  • I asked if I could be transferred to someone else.
  • She said no, and also the wait time was too long (30 minutes).
  • I asked again, could she transfer me to technical support then?
  • She said 'the result will be the same' and transferred me.
  • I spoke to another lady who, after some troubleshooting, told me that there was no internet connection(!) and she would transfer me to someone else to help.
  • She transferred me back to Karen. Karen asked why I had been transferred to her. I said I didn't know, she'd have to ask the technician. I don't think Karen remembered me as she said nothing about our previous chat.
  • Karen checked my details and said she would now request activation. So I wasn't activated in the first place, contrary to what she had said on our last call where apparently it was my router's problem?!
  • She said she had now activated my account after some 'technical issues' (I thought she said I was already connected last time?) and transferred me back to technical support (another 30 minute wait).
  • Got connected to a new technician. He was willing to help me get connected, but as soon as he looked up my details, he said he could see i'd been transferred around and had a case manager... anyway, he had to make a call to confirm some things while I waited on hold again.
  • When that technician came back, he asked me what the advice I got from the case manager was. I told him she had just activated my account, that's why I had been transferred to him.
  • He said strangely enough.. my account was not activated. He was very sympathetic and wasn't sure why I wasn't activated now. So far the nicest person I had spoken to - shame I didn't catch his name.
  • Anyway, got transferred to someone else. She checks my details and puts me on hold while she checks some details with the NBN team.
  • She says she can't get a hold of them right now, but will call me back.

I haven't heard back and it's now the end of the day so at this stage, still no resolution and needless to say I'm more than confused, very frustrated and disappointed. I'm trying to be patient, but I can't even get a straight answer whether I've been activated or not and each person I speak to contradicts the one before.

My ideal resolution would be to have someone come over and set it up for me, because nobody on the phone is able to explain what's happening or talk me through a solution, and there seems to be endless technical issues on TPG's side that I can't do anything about.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lizray
Level 2

SOLVED - TPG scheduled an NBN technician who came over today. He moved the NBN box to a different location however, still couldn't get a connection with my router. I called tech support again and unfortuntely they could not assist.

I scoured these forums and eventually found the following fix which has worked. Many thanks to  who came up with this fix for my TP-Link AC1200 router.

1. Make sure the modem is connected the NBN with an ethernet cable which goes from the socker marked WAN on the modem to one of the active outputs on the NBN wall mounted box.
  2. By default all the TP-link wireless modems are configured for phone connection, e.g ADSL or VDSL.  So when you connect them and select the Internet option you only see those two options.But, we want neither of these!
  3. Go to the advanced option in the settings page for the modem and change the "operation mode" to Wireless Router Mode and select save/reboot
  4. After reboot, reconnect to the modem and select "internet".  You should see that the options for ADSL or VDSL have now dissappeared. Select the correct options for your ISP (probably PPPoE,your user name and password) then connect.

While it's unfortunate that TPG could not assist, I appreciate that I'm using a third party modem that they don't provide support for. I'm still a bit upset regarding the unprofressionalism and lack of understanding I received from Karen, but other support staff were quite good.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lizray
Level 2

I did eventually get a call at 7PM this evening. We tried the basic troubleshooting for the nth time. An NBN technician has been engaged to come to my house to check the connection box. Here's hoping we get somewhere, noting I'm still disaatisfied so far - particularly with Karen!

BasilDV

Hi @lizray 

Thanks for raising this to our attention and we apologise for the inconvenience.

We tried to search for the account using your community details, but can't verify if we are looking at the correct one.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number for us to assist you accordingly.

BasilDV

lizray
Level 2

SOLVED - TPG scheduled an NBN technician who came over today. He moved the NBN box to a different location however, still couldn't get a connection with my router. I called tech support again and unfortuntely they could not assist.

I scoured these forums and eventually found the following fix which has worked. Many thanks to  who came up with this fix for my TP-Link AC1200 router.

While it's unfortunate that TPG could not assist, I appreciate that I'm using a third party modem that they don't provide support for. I'm still a bit upset regarding the unprofressionalism and lack of understanding I received from Karen, but other support staff were quite good.