TPG Community

Get online support

How to set up e-mail client for TPG MFA

MarRover2
Level 3

Hello,

I hope this is appropriate location to ask for help.

I use Thunderbird to manage all my e-mail - GMail (several of them), Hotmail, TPG (with POP) but I don't use the TPG account much.

Can someone please advise me how to set up my Thunderbird to manage mail to/from my TPG account when the MFA is switched on?

My main GMail (POP3) account has Google's 2SV (or MFA in TPG's parlance) enabled hooked up using Google Authenticator and via the use of "App Password" (gennerated by GMail account), I can access the GMail account from my Thunderbird.

How would one do this with TPG Mail? I don't seem to find any help on doing this? I imagine Outlook program users will be facing with a similar problem.

Thanks

Rover

6 REPLIES 6
Ahra_G

Hi @MarRover2,

Our customers' security and privacy is something that is very important to us. We are continuously working on our security processes to protect our customers.

At this point, MFA via SMS is the only option available.

You may have a read on this article: Multi-Factor Authentication at TPG

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

MarRover2
Level 3

Ahra_G,

Please read my original posting before responding with message that imply I have not read TPG MFA which is totally irrelevant to my question.

This is what I said "How would one do this with TPG Mail? I don't seem to find any help on doing this? I imagine Outlook program users will be facing with a similar problem."

Sorry to say your response adds zero value to the community discussion on this issue as you have not offered me (or pointing me to a relevant article) advice on how to solve my problem. 

From my experience in setting up GMail using 2SV with Thunderbird, I can tell TPG has NO way to support that usage as it stand right now.

If TPG's MFA cannot support that usage admit it and say so. If it is on the pipeline, tell us when we can have that.

If when MFA is switched on and TPG's MFA cannot support that usage please make an announcement before MFA is switch on so that people relying on that usage can make the appropriate decision - like deserting TPG Mail.

MFA without the support for e-mail client is a statement that TPG does not support e-mail clients like Thunderbird or Outlook.

Does TPG's MFA supports e-mail client? Yes or No.

Rover

david64
Level 15

Hi @MarRover2 . At the moment, MFA is only being considered for use with My Account, not for the mail server.

Shane

Hi @MarRover2,

We created a step-by-step guide on how to setup TPG Email using Thunderbird Email Client, please check the link below.

https://support.tpg.com.au/email-setup-thunderbird

Note: Setting up TPG Email to an Email client will not require MFA.

Multi-factor authentication is used when a customer contacts us to access or change personal or account information. This is to help ensure someone isn’t trying to access your information or make changes to your account without your permission

When do we require MFA?

When calling us to change personal or account information

In addition to our standard ID check, we will ask to confirm a one-time passcode sent via SMS to the mobile number of the account holder or an authorised representative

When logging in to My Account

After logging into My Account, customers will be required to enter a one-time passcode sent via SMS to the mobile number of the account holder or an authorised representative. 

Should you require more assistance please let us know.

Hello,

I hope this is appropriate location to ask for help.

I use Thunderbird to manage all my e-mail - GMail (several of them), Hotmail, TPG (with POP) but I don't use the TPG account much.

Can someone please advise me how to set up my Thunderbird to manage mail to/from my TPG account when the MFA is switched on?

My main GMail (POP3) account has Google's 2SV (or MFA in TPG's parlance) enabled hooked up using Google Authenticator and via the use of "App Password" (gennerated by GMail account), I can access the GMail account from my Thunderbird.

How would one do this with TPG Mail? I don't seem to find any help on doing this? I imagine Outlook program users will be facing with a similar problem.

Thanks

Rover

MarRover2
Level 3

Hi Shane

"We created a step-by-step guide on how to setup TPG Email using Thunderbird Email Client, please check the link below.

https://support.tpg.com.au/email-setup-thunderbird"

Thanks. I have already had successful connection from my Thunderbird for quite some time.

"Note: Setting up TPG Email to an Email client will not require MFA.

Multi-factor authentication is used when a customer contacts us to access or change personal or account information. This is to help ensure someone isn’t trying to access your information or make changes to your account without your permission"

Reading the TPG materials I got the impression that logging into one's Post Office (inbox account) would require MFA as that is what happens to GMail.

So e-mail account log in regardless from web view or from e-mail client would not require MFA. That makes sense as TPG does not appear to have a way to generate something like "App Password" for mail client.

Thanks for the clarification

Rover

Shane

Yep! That is correct. You're welcome. For future inquiries, feel free to create a new thread. Have a lovely weekend. Smiley Happy