TPG Community

Get online support

Poor speeds on nbn

Slickslr
Level 2
Maybe someone can make sense of this situation since the tpg engineer cant. I am currently connected with tpg on 12mb nbn. All devices in the house can only download at 1.2mb/s. It took me 3 days to download 16g! But my son can download a 36g game on his xbox in 4 hrs! My pc is connected to the router directly by cat6 and everything says 1000mb/s connection but can only get 1.2mb/s download! Tpg continues to charge me for adsl speeds on nbn! Their excuse is that all the servers in the world are limiting everyone in my house, except my son which is connected to our wifi on 2.4g!
11 REPLIES 11
Slickslr
Level 2
Oh, I forgot to mention that our home phone has never worked for the entire time on the contract! Our contract ends in 3 months. They had no explanation for the home phone not working and have not even attempted to try and sort out the problem!
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Slickslr What flavour of NBN are you using? Fttn or HFC? Have you done a speed test with just one device connected via Ethernet?

Slickslr
Level 2
Hi, I was on the phone with tpg for about an hour and speed tests were done 5 times. They ranged from 7mbps to 11.8mbps with just my pc connected. While on the phone, I was asked to try downloading and still could not get over 1.2mbps.
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Slickslr, The speeds you're getting are typical and actually quite normal for a NBN 12 connection, if you consider that 1 Mbps = 0.125 MB/s let's say you were downloading whilst connected at the typical evening speed of 11.1 Mbps you would have a maximum rate of 1.3875 MB/s.

Once you factor in variables of WiFi connections you're pretty much right in the ball park. Also remember that all the users on your network need to share that available bandwidth so if someone is downloading lots of data it will noticeably affect the other users.

Slickslr
Level 2
So once again, how is my son downloading at speeds of 30+mbps on our connection?
Slickslr
Level 2
And if nbn12 is only 1.2mb/s, my brother is on nbn45 and gets 44mb/s? Shouldnt he only get 4.5mb/s?
orbistat
Level 8

44.5 Mbps will give you a download rate of 5.5625 MB/s, It should take between 7-8 hrs to download 36gb on your NBN 12

Don’t confuse Mbps with MB/s they are different animals, as I said 1Mbps = 0.125 MB/s

Slickslr
Level 2
So how does my brother reach 44mb/s on his connection? I have seen the screen shots. My son has hit 33mb/s on our connection! If the speeds aren't possible, then how can they do it?
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Slickslr If you can post screenshots of these results it will help someone explain the difference between bits and bytes.