TPG Community

Get online support

Ridiculously slow ADSL2+ speeds from TPG

Crystalball2091
Level 2

Why is the ADSL2+ speeds ridiculously slow. The highest speeds ever achieved for me was around 8.6mbps, then slumping back down to 0.1mbps. I am lucky if the speeds maintain a 2-3mpbs so I could at least stream videos but at times it is unbearable to do anything online with 0.1mbps. Webpages don't load and videos buffer. NBN will reach my area soon and I am worried. Friends say that it works great and has improved their speeds by a lot, but I see on these forums that others don't have the same ideas. I just wanted to ask why are the ADSL2+ speeds so low and if I should reconsider changing to another provider to not waste money and time.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @Crystalball2091,

Welcome to the community!

There are many factors affecting speed of ADSL2+ connection including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the quality internal cable/copper wire going to the exchange. To better understand the situation, we'd like to get your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

We'll run a test to the connection and see what causing this issue.

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

Crystalball2091
Level 2

@Shane wrote:

Hi @Crystalball2091,

Welcome to the community!

There are many factors affecting speed of ADSL2+ connection including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the quality internal cable/copper wire going to the exchange. To better understand the situation, we'd like to get your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

We'll run a test to the connection and see what causing this issue.

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

Thank you for your reply, however, I still wonder. Should I consider changing my provider or stick with TPG? I want to know if this problem is only with ADSL2+, or is a major problem with my wires or hardware, I will try to reply as soon as possible but it's quite busy at the moment.

Good day to you

Will

Hi @Crystalball2091

There are a lot of factors that may affect your connection speed. One could be related to a line fault which Telstra may need to look into, some could be WIFI-related issues (if connection is purely WIFI only), others are modem or even internal wiring related.

We won't know for certain what the actual cause of the issue is until we're able to locate your account and run a test on the line itself. Once you're amenable, please send us a PM with your customer ID or username so we can look into this further.

Regards,

Will