TPG Community

Get online support

tp-link BE 3600 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 7 Router / Archer BE230

cobberboy
Level 2
Dear TPG Community,
THIS IS A LONG QUESTION but please 🙏 read.
I have been with TPG for just on seven years and have always found them to be receptive and particularly helpful from a technology standpoint.
I was blessed with a high speed, NBN connection, which is called FTTP, the NBN modem (and support system – I am NOT a ‘tech expert’ by any means) was built into the new building in which I live during its construction - completed in 2017. I was surprised to discover modem is in my bedroom cupboard!
TPG originally supplied me with a:
tp-link Archer C1200 / AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
(STANDARDS: IEEE 802.11b/g/n + 2.4GHz IEEE 802.11a/n/ac 5GHz)
Which served me very well, until it started to (Glitch) have intermittent problems which started with Wi-Fi dropouts and over a period of months more “technical problems emerged” which became untenable for me as they became more permanent.
Basically from what I’ve been told the lifecycle of this piece of ‘hardy” hardware was coming to an end - the cause? There were lots of theories.
Quite possibly:
because I slowly, but surely - one “thing” at a time - embraced IoT - and the benefits of voice control *and over time* purchased quite a few - almost all my light bulbs (I settled on Nanoleaf) then gradually: smart plugs, an Apple tablet, a JBL sound bar, an Apple TV, a new printer to name but a few smart devices that would assist me now and into the future.
*NOTE* I live with and have to deal with a progressive form of dementia and multifunction decline (physically) that was a lot less of a problem when I first signed up with TPG almost 7 years ago. The benefits of IoT (in my case smart devices) for somebody with a disability, I have discovered through lived experience, is nothing short of miraculous.
I recently (8 weeks?) received a ‘Replacement Modem+Router’ called a:
tp-link AX 1500 (Wi-Fi 6) Wireless Gigabit NBN/DSL/ADSL modem router with VoIP/ Model VX 220–G2v - which is a bit of a mouthful! Unfortunately it has not proven to be much of an improvement - particularly when it came to setting up of all of the IoT devices, which I patiently worked my way through, similarly to how I purchased them, one at a time until I had finished all of them.

So I decided to bite the bullet and use the funds I had saved to purchase a new Router from scratch:

tp-link BE 3600 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 7 Router / Archer BE230

My QUESTION - after all that description – probably too much, but I wanted to be thorough, has anybody else purchased or is using this:

Wi-Fi 7 Router / Archer BE230??
1 REPLY 1
david64
Level 15

Hi @cobberboy .

NBNCo install the FTTP box in the most convenient spot for them; usually not convenient for the user.
Does your house have ethernet outlets in each room leading back to a common point (patch panel)? If it does, and there is an outlet in the bedroom, you can put the router at the common point.
With the FTTP box in the cupboard, are you able to use a longer cable to position the router in a better position in the room? Or even run a cable under house or in roof to another room?

With the VX220, what problems are you getting? Just wifi dropouts or internet dropouts? Smart devices disconnect?

The BE230 has not been mentioned in Community. You might be better to check out reviews.
Have you downloaded the user manual? None of the info says how many wifi devices can be connected or how many address reservations can be made.
It does have special wifi arrangement for IoT devices.