Constant dropouts

mlt84
Level 2
Hi,

My FTTN NBN drops out about 10 times a days - disconnects, reconnects after about 1min.

This happened with previous provider too - so I think it is an issue with physical connections. Prob an NBN issue?

Please advise how we get this looked into properly and fixed?
8 REPLIES 8
BasilDV

Welcome to the Community @mlt84

If you are experiencing issues with the service, we advise customers to check if there's an ongoing outage in the area before performing any troubleshooting.

Check it here:

If not, shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to run further tests.

BasilDV

mlt84
Level 2

Sent you a PM

BasilDV

Thank you @mlt84

We've tested the line and detected a possible fault within the NBN line that needs further investigation.

This has been raised to our Engineers and updates will be provided via SMS or phone call within 24 to 48 hours.

BasilDV

mlt84
Level 2

Thank you. Standing by.

BasilDV

Hi @mlt84

Our team tried to call you to no avail.

The case has been lodged to NBN Co further updates ill be provided by your case manager once available.

Have a good day!

BasilDV

Thomasb
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV,

Just replying to this post as I'm also experiencing similar dropouts with my TPG FTTB connection (and this thread seemed to be the most recent on the issue). I've checked the service status page & NBN network outage page and can't see any issues there.

Would be great if I could send you a pm to help me investigate further. But I'm new to the community so it doesn't look like I have pm abilities yet?

Cheers

BasilDV

Welcome to the Community @Thomasb

If your service is not affected by an outage, then we need to check on this further and run some line tests.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you.

BasilDV

mlt84
Level 2

Hi,
My issue has now been resolved, but just to give some feedback to the community on the various issues to look out for:
- as FTTN, my modem was run on my existing phone line into the house. However, that phone line was actually 'split' to go to about 5 different phone jacks throughout the house. Apparently this is no good for NBN - it just wants to come straight into the modem... any joins or connections in the cable can mess with the data quality... that had never been explained, else I would have ripped out all the supruflous cables years ago.

- I then had an NBN tech who was a terrible communicator, and didn't really explain the problem, which resulted in me 'fixing' the issue, but not really - so I had to get another tech out, who explained it better. He showed me that the connection to the side of the house was 100mbps, but at my moden phone jack it was like 20mbps, and my ping rate at the moden jack was terribly slow... that meant it had to be something with my internal wiring... clear, concise - NBN to point A (side of house is perfect), but when it goes through this wall Point B, it is rubbish...

- The result which fixed the issue; ran a new Cat6 cable from the side of the house (where NBN measured 100mbps) to a single phone jack inside. No connections, no joins, just a contination of the 'outside wire' in effect. I stress a NEW cable, new phone jack, everything. Since I did that - internet is pretty much 100%.

I also have to say that TPG has been great in getting NBN out to help. I was with Telstra for years and they seemed to have a massive issue with getting NBN to come out and check the cable.

My only warning if you have an NBN tech is to get them to really clearly show you at which point in the wiring everything is "good" and "not good" - then you can clearly know which cables might be the issue.