FTTP connecting phone to router

SOLVED Go to solution
Mark7
Level 3
Hi folks,
I’ve just had FTTP installed to my home, and I was supplied a new router TP-Link VX220 G2V router that connects to the nbn fibre internal box.
I wanted to connect my phone line to the actual router as it on my desk! But when plugged into the router there is no dial tone- and the router menu when logged in says it’s not activated with no option in the menu to turn it on?
If I plug the phone into the nbn wall unit RJ11 it works fine - BUT I would like it on my desk plugged into the routers RJ11 port!
So how do, or is it even possible to turn on the feature in this router to activate the phone port? The installer said it’s possible - but I can’t see it?
Any ideas out there?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark7
Level 3
Hi David,
All good, I’ll try that VLAN2 config with the phone to see if it works. Failing that I’ll go with running a long telephone cable :-)
Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @Mark7 . Easiest is to get a telephone extension cord.

How far between the nbn box and your desk?

Mark7
Level 3
Hi David64,
Thanks for responding so quickly :-)
Unfortunately it’s about 10m and in another room (I have an Ethernet point next to the fibre box and, one at my desk where o have my PC and Mesh plugged into the LAN ports.
I could leave the phone next to the nbn box if I have to, but I was hoping there was an easy config change or fix to activate the router phone port, and then I could plug it in there.
The router does have an RJ11 phone port, and would have been very handy to utilise it.
I guess there must be a valid technical reason why a phone can only be plugged in the main fibre termination unit rather than the router itself (unlike my old DSL router)
david64
Level 15

@Mark7 . I don't know the technical reason that FTTP was designed to attach a telephone and why the FTTC and HFC units weren't.

I don't see TPG changing how the FTTP connection is done. As an experiment, adjust the Archer config by setting VLAN ID 2 and connect the phone to it. See what happens.

Distance is not a problem. You can get a 15m phone extension cable but you would need to run it around the edge of each room. Or 15m + 10m cables with joiner.

You could get a phone base station that supports a wifi connection to a remote handset. The phone wifi could interfere with the router's 2.4GHz wifi.

Mark7
Level 3
Hi David,
All good, I’ll try that VLAN2 config with the phone to see if it works. Failing that I’ll go with running a long telephone cable :-)
Thanks for your help
BasilDV

Hi @Mark7 

The NBN FTTP technology uses an NBN NTD box that has a UNI-V port for VoIP.

So changing the VLAN tagging on the provided modem/router, will not let you use the VoIP as it is configured on the designated port on the NBN NTD box.

BasilDV

Mark7
Level 3
Thanks BasilDV,
That makes sense, and I’m not going to try and mess around with the NBN NTD to turn it off there just to turn it on at the router.
I’ll either run a long telephone cable in, or just put up with the fact it needs to be plugged into the NTD and that’s that!
Mark