Internet connection dropout

SOLVED Go to solution
kk24
Level 2

Hi, I am a TPG/NBN user.  I live in a block of units that uses Fibre to the Building (FTTB) technology for the Internet connection.  I use TPG-supplied router – Huawei VR1600V.  Setting of this router has not been changed since the initial installation by the technician.  My landline phone is connected to this router.  I have two laptops connected wirelessly to this router.  Also, my LG smart TV is connected wirelessly to this router.  The Internet connection is usually stable, but it drops out - either the Internet light goes off (with DSL light flashing) or all lights go off except the power light - in two situations:

1. when I start using the connected phone (both incoming and outgoing calls).  The drop-out almost always occurs, though at a varying elapsed time after the call is answered i.e. within 1 second to 5 minutes – this renders the phone service pretty much useless; or
  2. when I turn off my LG smart TV.  This drop-out doesn’t occur every time, but say, one out of every 3 occasions.

These drop-outs occur anytime during the day or night.  I converted to NBN in Dec, 2020.  Up until then (had been using ADSL Broadband through TPG) neither of these issues arose.  Needless to say these drop-outs have been extremely frustrating and upsetting as our lives are heavily dependent on working with the Internet through our laptop computers.  Did anyone out there have same experience and was able to resolve the issue?  Or can a moderator suggest what actions to take?  Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kk24
Level 2

Hi BasilDV

While speaking with a TPG technical support person, I was asked what the voltage and amperage ratings are for the power adapter used for the router.   I immediately saw the light.   I remembered when the TPG technician (or their sub-contractor) came to install the NBN router, he used the existing power adapter cable that was already there which had been used to power the Huawei ADSL router (also supplied by TPG) prior to the NBN switchover.   Sure enough the power rating of this adapter is 12V/0.5A, whereas the new router Archer VR1600v requires 12V/2.0A.  That is, my NBN router has been underpowered ever since the NBN switchover.  I replaced this old adapter cable with the proper one (2 days ago) and I ran a few tests, and now I'm happy to say those dropout issues are all gone.  I never imagined this sort of basic technical oversight – it goes to show TPG has some training issues.  Hope this may help those who might have the same issues as I did.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BasilDV

Hi @kk24

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate the account using your Community details.

We checked and tested the line, but was not able to detect any fault.

Also, are you able to check the modem/router that you have if it's the Huawei HG659 or the TP-Link VR1600v?

Once confirmed, check the physical connection if the modem/router is connected to the wall via splitter/filter or is it directly to the wall socket?

Check if the cables are securely connected to the modem/router. Do you have another handset to try to eliminate the possibility of a faulty handset?

BasilDV

kk24
Level 2

Hi BasilDV

Thanks for your response.   As mentioned in my initial post, my modem/router is VR1600V.  It is connected directly to the wall socket.   Physical connection is secure.  Note that the Internet connection has been stable unless one of those two events occurs (using the connected phone or turning off the smart TV).  I don’t have another handset to test the connection with, but let me say that I bought this ‘NBN-compatible’ Panasonic handset brand new last December when I switched to NBN, and this dropout has been happening ever since.  Regards, KK24

BasilDV

Hi @kkano24

We'd like to arrange a call from our Tech team to check on this further.

Please send me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted.

BasilDV

kk24
Level 2

Hi BasilDV

While speaking with a TPG technical support person, I was asked what the voltage and amperage ratings are for the power adapter used for the router.   I immediately saw the light.   I remembered when the TPG technician (or their sub-contractor) came to install the NBN router, he used the existing power adapter cable that was already there which had been used to power the Huawei ADSL router (also supplied by TPG) prior to the NBN switchover.   Sure enough the power rating of this adapter is 12V/0.5A, whereas the new router Archer VR1600v requires 12V/2.0A.  That is, my NBN router has been underpowered ever since the NBN switchover.  I replaced this old adapter cable with the proper one (2 days ago) and I ran a few tests, and now I'm happy to say those dropout issues are all gone.  I never imagined this sort of basic technical oversight – it goes to show TPG has some training issues.  Hope this may help those who might have the same issues as I did.