TPG Community

Get online support

Network/SIM lock

Delfin
Level 2

Hi there,

I purchased a Samsung S10e from Optus 3 years ago through a phone plan.

When the contract/plan ended, I purchased a TPG SIM only plan. TPG and OPTUS themselved worked in the background to make the switch happen. 

Recently I got a new phone that I purchased outright. I moved the TPG sim card to the new phone and everything works just fine. Then, I sent the old phone (Samsung S10e) to Indonesia. When my brother inserted an Indonesian SIM card into the phone, he got a message that says 'Not registered on network'. The phone itself can be used; the problem is with the network.

My question is, is this something that I have do deal with with OPTUS or TPG? And can someone please confirm for me that a phone lock is different from a network/SIM lock?

Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Angeli

Hi @Delfin

Your smartphone must not be network locked to insert a SIM from another country. 

Regards, 

Angeli

Delfin
Level 2

Hi @Angeli,

appreciate your response.

Can you let me know how to go about the network unlock process? Do I need to go to Optus or TPG to do this?

Thanks

Angeli

Hi @Delfin

You will have to seek assistance from Optus. 

Delfin
Level 2

Hi @Angeli 

As per your suggestion, I reached out to Optus and they told me since I switched to TPG after my contract ended with them, it's TPG that can provide me with the SIM security PIN

The attached photo is a snapshot of my chat with an Optus rep.

Hope you can help with this.

Thanks!

BasilDV

Hi @Delfin

The switch to TPG was for your SIM card only.

The problem is with the smartphone you purchased from Optus and not from TPG.

Did you check with Optus if the device is factory unlocked or locked? If not, please contact Optus again to confirm that it is unlocked.

You may also advise your brother to try the manual selection of network on the smartphone.

From the word itself "SIM security PIN", since your brother is using an Indonesian SIM card, then you may advise him to check with his provider.

BasilDV