TPG Community

Get online support

high ping and slow download speeds

Angel314
Level 2

So basically before like the last 1-2 weeks, my ping was consistent on 60ping and my download speeds were around 90mbps, but as of recently my internet has been acting up and been on a consistent 140 ping. I don't know if this is just in the Northern Territory, because a couple of friends with TPG are experiencing the same issue, and it just seems weird because before TPG has always been pretty good and had stable connections.

5 REPLIES 5
Riezl

Hi @Angel314,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We're sorry to know that you're having issues with the service and we'd like to help get to the bottom of this.

Please PM us your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can pull up the account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community 

Riezl

Hi @Angel314, thanks for providing the account details via PM. We have checked the status of your connection and we are not detecting any fault on the line or network that may affect the performance of the service, but we'd like to look into this further.

Please PM us your best contact number and most convenient time to receive a call tomorrow.

Angel314
Level 2

Before receiving a call if possible I would like another test done around 8-9 pm (ACST) because around this time I am always on slow download speeds and high ping. 

Riezl

Hi @Angel314,  we'll have someone contact you between 8PM and 9PM NT time tonight instead for assistance.

Riezl

Hi @Angel314, our Technical Team tried to contact you, but to no avail.

To make it easier for us to identify the exact nature of the problem, we'd be asking you to conduct a series of tests with your network.

Please run these tests during the time when the issue happens.

Please be aware that these instructions are for WINDOWS Computers. Should you be using a MAC computer or any other operating system please let us know so we could check if we have instructions for you.

======================================================
BEFORE STARTING THE TEST, PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING:
These tests would require you to access the command prompt of your computer (for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7).
To access it please follow these instructions:

• WINDOWS XP:
    • Click Start > Run.
    • On the text box type \"cmd\" without the quotations and click RUN.
    • A black screen will appear. This is the command prompt.
  • WINDOWS VISTA/WINDOWS 7:
    • Click Start and look for the \"Start Search\" box.
    • Type \"cmd\" without the quotations and click RUN.
    • A black screen will appear. This is the command prompt
  • WINDOWS 8
    • Search for application / program cmd

SCREENSHOTS:

Also, these tests would require you to be able to get screenshots of your computer. A Screenshot is a function on your PC which allows you to save a copy of what your desktop looks like at the moment.

To make screenshots, push the "PRT SCR" or "PRINT SCREEN\\\" button on your keyboard. (Usually found on the upper right hand side across the F12 and beside the Scroll Lock).

Once done, open up a Microsoft Word document or Microsoft Paint.
Click Edit > Paste and you will see a picture of your desktop saved on the document.

======================================================
ADDITIONAL TESTS:

I. CONTINUOUS PING:

• To conduct a continuous ping, ensure that none of your other PCs are doing internet activity.
    • Open up the command prompt of one of your PCs.
    • Type the following in \"ping <IP address> -n 1000\" without the quotations. 
      • ping 192.168.1.1 -n 1000
      • ping 10.20.22.148 -n 1000
      • ping tpg.com.au -n 1000

• Wait for the test to finish and for the PING STATISTICS, found at the end, to show up.
  • Just send us a screenshot or a copy of the PING STATISTICS to this email.
  • We should have 3 ping test results

II. TRACE ROUTE

• To conduct a trace route,
      • Open up the command prompt of one of your PCs.
      • Type the following in \"tracert tpg.com.au\" without the quotations. 
      • EXAMPLE: tracert tpg.com.au
      • Copy a screen shot of the trace route result

III. SPEED TESTS:

•  For speed tests, please run the speed tests at :  http://www.speedtest.net
  • Please just get a screenshot after the test is complete.
  • Please don\'t forget to indicate the timestamps for these tests.

Once you\'re done, please send the screenshots to helpdesk@tpg.com.au.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.