TPG Community

Get online support

5G Home Broadband very slow

Joanna2
Level 3
Finally, after 10 days of waiting the hardware, finally the modem dispatched to me on 28th. Thanks for TPG’s help.

However, after I setup the modem and tried various location at home, the internet speed still perform very slow. The ping time at range of 50-400ms, download speed at range of 1.5 - 1.9 Mbps and upload speed at range of 2 - 2.9 Mbps. The measurement was down during 8-9:30pm.

Such speed is not able to properly load the YouTube video with 5 devices.

What can I do about it?
16 REPLIES 16
Joanna2
Level 3
Joanna2
Level 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @Joanna2 . When you tried the router in different locations, how many signal bars did you get?

Were they green? More bars, stronger signal, better speed.

Did you do speed test on ethernet computer or wifi device? Ethernet gives most consistent result.

If wifi device, what is the wifi connection speed between device and router?

You can find the speed in the Wifi Settings of the device. Tap the Connection name.

Joanna2
Level 3
Joanna2
Level 3
Hi David,

The signal bar having between 2 - 3 lights on, it varies even I place the 5G router in different location of the house. Mostly the signal light with yellow and often it flip flop between yellow and green.

Mostly, I connect via WiFi devices as my MacBook Air, iPad, Samsung mobile and iPhone didn’t support R45. Most WiFi endpoint that I connect shows with 5G instead of 2.4G connection.

Is there anything I should do to improve the speed?
david64
Level 15

@Joanna2 . Here is some info on status lights.

https://help.iinet.net.au/sagemcom-5866-modem-status-lights

2-3 lights is probably ok. But yellow means router has switched to a slower 4G connection.

This might be because the 5G tower is too busy.

Do your wifi devices show good signal strength?

On your Samsung mobile, go to Settings, WiFi, tap your connection name.

It should show the wifi connection speed between device and router.

(Should be > 72 Mbps. My Samsung mobile on 2.4GHz band.)

The Macbook should be able to display its wifi connection speed.

Use the Macbook to run speed test.

Make sure that none of your devices are doing backups to the cloud.

Joanna2
Level 3
Thanks David for your suggestion. The speed obviously getting much better after 11pm. The 5G router, at now 11:52pm still shows 2 or 3 yellow lights. The worse situation is it flip flop between yellow and green, once the light of color change, the WiFi speed seems fluctuated.

So far, the end point signal is very good and stated that with very strong signal.

I wonder the speed being affected by TPG tower which signal is too weak, especially during busy hours like 6-8pm.
david64
Level 15

@Joanna2 . You need to get those lights green. You have to find the location of the 5G tower. Best position is line of sight, near a window, not in sunlight. 

TPG has two 5G plans:  49/15 and 100/15. You're not even getting the slower speed.

Choice of speeds

Max speeds (download/upload) for the Premium Plan are 100Mbps/20Mbps and 50Mbps/20Mbps for the Plus Plan.

A moderator will have to check this tomorrow. The tower might be under-provisioned.

Joanna2
Level 3
Really appreciated for your advise. I have placed the 5G router in different locations in the house but none of the position can make the modem light turn green. Let’s wait for the moderator’s feedback then.