TPG Community

Get online support

5G home Boardband can't connect to wifi printer and Chromcast

ktongpetch
Level 2

I switched from NBN to 5G home Broadband last month with SAGEMCOM FAST 5866T router.

my wifi printers and Chromcast both doesn't worked. 

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @ktongpetch 

The TPG provided Sagemcom modem/router only supports WPA2-WPA3 security mode for the WiFi.

If your printers and Chromecast don't support the said WiFi security, then they will not able to connect.

If you still have your old NBN router, then you can configure it as an access point and use it to connect the devices.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @ktongpetch . Before trying the old router as an access point, check this on the Sagemcom.

Find Band Steering in wireless settings and disable it. 

Make the 5GHz SSID different from the 2.4Ghz SSID. 

The printers and chromecast might only use 2.4G band.

Michael-B
Level 2

As BasilDV wrote, the SAGEMCOM Fast 5866T router only supports WPA2/WPA3 security modes. Some of the devices in my household (solar WiFi dongle, Brother printer, old HP laptop) don't support those, and they couldn't connect. My Chromecast did connect, though.

However, the router's security setting can also be confgured to "None". Doing that solved that problem.

david64
Level 15

@Michael-B . Using no security means anyone can connect to your wifi and use your internet connection or interact with your wifi devices, or the router config.

How far outside your house are your wifi networks detectable?

Michael-B
Level 2

Thank you for your concern, david64. I'm well aware of the pitfalls of an unsecured Wifi, but it's an unavoidable situation. The danger is mitigated by the WAN->LAN firewall, the advanced age of all my neighbours, and those who want internet access around here have it. My unlimeted data plan protects me from direct financial loss.

However, I welcome any advice how to restrict HTML access to the router to the LAN interface.

david64
Level 15

@Michael-B . Simplest might be to change the admin password.  There might be an option to restrict access to a specific mac address.

If the router is reset, that change has to be done again.