TPG Community

Get online support

5G home broadband slow despite restarting wifi modem

dominicsoh
Level 2

Hello team,

I live in an apartment and am on the 5G home broadband (using the wifi modem), because NBN is not available in my facility.

My wifi modem is set up in my living room which is just 2 steps away from my home office.

Recently, my internet has been extremely slow, despite restarting the wifi modem several times.

The first screenshot below shows the internet speed after a modem restart, taken on a Monday weekday at 1pm. The second screenshot shows the speed of hotspotting from my mobile phone, taken at the same time/day, which I had to get onto in order to attend online meetings at work.

Could I get some advice and assistance on this?

The slow speeds have been very disruptive for my remote work.

Thanks.

Wifi modem speed, on a weekday at 1pmWifi modem speed, on a weekday at 1pmMobile hotspot speed, on a weekday at 1pmMobile hotspot speed, on a weekday at 1pm

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @dominicsoh . Odd there is no NBN connection in your apartment.

Have you checked your address at nbnco.com.au?

How many signal bars are you getting on Sagemcom? Has this reduced since the time you had good speed?

Have you tried moving the Sagemcom to different position?

When doing speed test through Sagemcom, is your device connected to 5 GHz band?

What is the wifi connection speed between device and router? In Settings, WiFi, tap the connection name.

When you hotspot your device through your phone, what is the wifi connection speed?

(Wifi connection speed is speed between device and router, and is different from the Speedtest speed.)

dominicsoh
Level 2

Hello,

Seems like NBN is not yet ready at my place.

I'm currently getting 4/4 bars now. But I realised that the number of bars can drop sporadically through the day. I've moved it closer to my balcony in my living room to hopefully get better reception. Would this improve things?

Yes, I'm connected via 5GHz on wifi. Speed is 1201 Mbps.

To clarify, when I hotspot from my mobile phone, it is using my phone's Optus data plan (bypassing Sagemcom altogether) to be able to access the internet.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-03-19 200000.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-19 195741.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-19 195447.jpg

david64
Level 15

@dominicsoh . When you have 4/4 signal bars, what down and up speeds do you get?

You should find the location of your local 5G tower. The Sagemcom goes where it has the best path to the tower.

I don't know why the signal strength varies during the day.

The 1201 Mbps wifi speed is very good.

Ahra_G

Hi @dominicsoh,

This article might help: 5G Home Broadband - Troubleshooting Speed issues

Make sure to also check for any outages/maintenance in your area - https://support.tpg.com.au/network

Send us a private message if the issue persists. 

-Ahra_G