TPG Community

Get online support

5Ghz network slower than 2.4Ghz

cdmain12
Level 2
Hi,
I have a NBN 50 HFC connection and am using a supplied Archer 1600 modem.

I have noticed than my 5GHz download speed is around 35Mbps, while my 2.4Ghz is 45Mbps. Why would my 5Ghz be slower than 2.4Ghz?

I am close to the router so no obstacles are in the way and I am using my pixel 2 and speed test for the measurements. My phone, router and android tv box are the only 5Ghz devices in the house. I turned off my Android TV unit and tested same results.

I have rebooted the router and have same results.

From my research 5Ghz should be faster than 2.4 Ghz if the signal is not attenuated too much, so in my case I cannot see why it is slower. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @cdmain12

Welcome to the Community!

Even though you are using the 5GHz network of your modem/router, it is possible that signal interference is causing the slow speed issue.

You may check the articles that we've created that will guide you on how to improve your home network.

You may try changing the Wireless channel of your 5GHz network to improve the connection.

BasilDV

cdmain12
Level 2
Hi BasilDV,

Glad to be part of the community.
I have tried different channels. No change.

The router channel was previous set to auto. Any other thoughts?
BasilDV

Hi @cdmain12

May we know the channels that you've already used? Have you tried turning off and on the modem/router after changing the channel?

BasilDV

cdmain12
Level 2
Hi,

I used a channel 40, 48, 149.

Yes I have rebooted as well.

BasilDV

Thank you @cdmain12.

Please send me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted tomorrow and will arrange a call from our Tech team to check on this further.

How do I private message (PM) in the community?

BasilDV