TPG Community

Get online support

5g home broadband is slow as hell at the same time every single day for a month already.

coldze
Level 3

Hello,

I get EVERY single day an internet speed of 4-5 Mbps (today it's 3Mbps)somewhat between 6pm till about 11pm. That's close to 3G max speed, somewhat from good old times when iPhone appeared, but has nothing in common with 5G.

I called TPG support, we, together in the evening have checked singal strength - it's very good. Then they have "escalated" it to engineering team, which had to check the issue on side of TPG, which I'm almost absolutely sure had never taken place, because the response was "we have found nothing, everything is good" and "it must be something between their hardware and my modem, that affects the speed" (mind here that in between there is only air and it doesn't affect signal strength, but affects speed - I'm really curious wth can it be, just want to understand a physical principal underneath this "theory"). And the resolution: "we recommend you to switch to nbn". TPG, you've called me 10 months ago, saying you have awesome 5G and recommended me to switch from NBN to 5G. Are you serious?

I've got a no-cap plan, which has an AWESOME speed at 6am getting as high as 120Mbps (but seriosly, who needs that at that time?), and literally DEAD INTERNET in the evening. E-V-E-R-Y S-I-N-G-L-E D-A-Y. To watch twitch (even recording, not live stream) I need to go as low as 360p, with 4k-capable plan.

So the question: how to fix the issue? Obviously the issue exists. And it's on side of TPG, not in the air (I don't believe in ghosts and gods, sorry)

Note: have tested speed on 2 mac books, win PC, linux notebook and 3 iPhones of different make.

Tried resetting modem, tried rebooting modem, nothing helps on my side. Tried placing modem to windows, to corners, in different rooms. Tried wifi, tried cable-connection. Every time I get the same result. So issue is not in hardware, at least not in my hardware. Modem? possible, but it's TPG's.

12 REPLIES 12
BasilDV

Hi @coldze

We'd like to review the previous cases and also run some network tests to identify the possible cause of the issue.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number.

BasilDV

coldze
Level 3

You know what was the response from "engineering" team?

Quote: "that's the BEST service we can provide"

THREE Mbps per second in the evening. Literally, that's the BEST TPG can provide on 5G. That's not my words. That's TPG engineering team. THREE Mbps.

If that's THE BEST, then probably TPG needs to replace it's faulty hardware or may be the "engineering" team, that literally doesn't help?

Shane

Hi @coldze,

Our Engineering Team tried to contact you today but no avail. Could you shoot us a PM with your best contact number and preferred time so we can reschedule another call for the updates,

How to send a PM? 

Regards

You know what was the response from "engineering" team?

Quote: "that's the BEST service we can provide"

THREE Mbps per second in the evening. Literally, that's the BEST TPG can provide on 5G. That's not my words. That's TPG engineering team. THREE Mbps.

If that's THE BEST, then probably TPG needs to replace it's faulty hardware or may be the "engineering" team, that literally doesn't help?

coldze
Level 3

@Shane that's exactly what I got from them, when called them back: "THE BEST SERVICE"

If that's what TPG calls the best service, then I can't imagine the worst - personal stone age?

The funniest thing about your "engineering" team, is that they don't even know where they work at...

I've got voicemail from "iinet", called back - TPG... No wonder that there is 0 result from them.

I bet they don't even know that problem is in the evening, not all day.

Shane

We chased this with our Engineering Team expect them to contact you to clarify this information related to the escalated fault. 

@Shane that's exactly what I got from them, when called them back: "THE BEST SERVICE"

If that's what TPG calls the best service, then I can't imagine the worst - personal stone age?

The funniest thing about your "engineering" team, is that they don't even know where they work at...

I've got voicemail from "iinet", called back - TPG... No wonder that there is 0 result from them.

I bet they don't even know that problem is in the evening, not all day.

coldze
Level 3

I've got contacted with someone from your team and we had an extremely dumb conversation, but it turned out that "engineering" team did literally nothing - there is only one single response from them the very first one, after which I've started this conversation here. You guys told me that it had been escalated and I had a call from TPG which confirmed that - engineering team will check the issue again.

Guess what? There is no second report, only the first one, which contains only my data, which I told to your engineering team when we were checking my internet over the phone. And I was told that engineers will continue the investigation, but looks like they are lazy and there is nothing else in that report.

So the second check have never taken place...

I was asked if I want the issue to be escalated the third time... I don't see any outcome in doing that, if you guys check nothing on your side and just close tickets...

"We will replace your modem"... Jesus... My modem is faulty only for a few hours a day between 6pm till 10pm. Sounds crazy, right? I can whatch videos and surf internet without any issues all day, except evening.

In the evening modem has cough and fever, probably COVID, needs replacement.

The reality, I'd guess, is that your anthena or hardware just is not capable of amount of connections it has in the evening, that's why signal's strength is perfect, but internet speed is dead.

I don't see any other explanation to the issue.

david64
Level 15

Hi @coldze . Did you get this fixed or have you moved on?

You've seen speed drop on your devices at different times of the day.

Are any of your computers connected by ethernet or only wifi? If ethernet, do they get speed drop also?

On your wifi devices, can you compare the wifi connection speed (speed between device and router; in device settings, tap the SSID name used by the device) when you get good download speed and bad. Also, which band (2.4G/5G) is the device using?

coldze
Level 3

Hi @david64 ,

Today I've received a new modem (had to be non-faulty)... It didn't work, as I was saying to TPG. They just don't care what I say. So no, problem is still not solved.

Regarding tests and time of the day:

- yes, it's bound to evening as I mentioned in my first post - every single day I get max of 8Mbps somewhat between 6pm and 11pm. Today with a brand new modem speed started to go down at 5pm - dropped to 40Mbps and since then was going only down. Right now 8:15pm I have 7Mbps. I've got a single device connected atm, via cable directly into TPG's modem.

- yes, I compared wi-fi, cable, both wifi-s 2.4GHz ang 5GHz, tried windows, tried 2 different macs, 3 different iPhones (X, 12 and 14), tried linux laptop. Every time I get the same result. That's why I ended up blaming TPG, because in the first place I was thinking it's an issue on my side, so I excluded all variables.
- tried reseting modem, tried turning off wifi (just in case) and running only cable connections

- tried putting modem into different places - to windows, away from windows etc

Every single time I get the same connection speed. If it drops, if drops everywhere.

For the last 2-3 weeks I'm running my tests only on PC connected via cable. Today I tried wifi connection as well. It's not receiving hardware, the issue is not on my side.

The way I see it - hardware somewhere near the anthena is faulty, it just can't handle amount of connections and traffic in the evening and TPG doesn't care. They do nothing. Literally. Well, besides sending modems, hoping that it helps.

This is today, "hh:mm download / upload"

17:30 38 / 7
18:50 35 / 17
19:20 28 / 16
19:22 13 / 15
19:40 21 / 9
19:46 15 / 22
19:57 13 / 24
20:00 14 / 7
20:02 12 / 19
20:04 10 / 28
20:10 7 / 26
20:27 8 / 25
20:31 5 / 25
20:33 4 / 25
20:38 6 / 23
20:44 3 / 28
20:55 10 / 21
20:57 7 / 21
21:08 6 / 16
21:55 24 / 27
22:02 39 / 20

Funny thing, running speed test on my laptop via hotspot connection with Vodafone provider (same as on TPG side) gives me 65Mbps via 4G, with only 9Mbps right now from TPG via 5G, have tried Vodafone 5G on iPhone 14 - 11Mbps (not hotspot, directly on the phone).

I don't know how else I should say, that issue is OBVIOUSLY with 5G hardware not capable of handling that amount of connections/traffic that happens to be in the evening, well, every day, you know.

david64
Level 15

@coldze . I believe the 5G plan comes with a trial period which allows you to change back to NBN if 5G is no good. 

Several months ago, a user reported a problem with his 5866T relating to throughput after a certain duration of operation, not at a specific time of day. His problem was fixed by a reboot, but eventually got a fault-free modem/router.

Having slow speed on your ethernet computer eliminates wifi interference as cause. Have a suggestion for a bit more testing with your ethernet computer (Win PC). Do this test when you have good speed and again when slow speed.

Find ip address of TPG:    ping tpg.com.au

Ping the router's LAN ip address, eg:     ping -n 20 192.168.1.1

Ping TPG:        ping -n 20 203.26.27.38

Then:    tracert 203.26.27.38

Shows intermediate routers to TPG and delays along the way.

You can increase load on the connection:   ping -n 20 -l 65000 203.26.27.38         (lower case L)

Run speed test on TPG's support page. It should be the closest network-wise; least delay time.