TPG Community

Get online support

5g 'upgrade' high-ping lowish speeds

gordmc73
Level 3

Hi All.

I was pressured by a "nagging" TPG salesperson who would keep calling me upwards of 5 times per day for 2 weeks, to try out their new 5g wireless service.

I told the salesperson that I had reservations, as there are 3 people in our house that are gamers and low-pings are more important than maximum throughput. I was aware that trying to game off my 4G phone was doable, but pings were a big issue. Basically TPG's 5g modem is a giant mobile phone, so in theory will have the same performance.

* On our original NBN50 plan we get pings of 6ms at a maximum throughput of 43Mbits.

* On my Samsung Galaxy s7edge 4g phone i get 20ms @ 97Mbits

* On the Tpg 5g modem located outside with line-of-site to Vodafone tower and momentarily 4green bars [-117Db] I got a best of 35ms ping @ 75Mbits (over 2.5gbe Lan). Tower is 750metres line-of-sight away.

(All test used same servers locations from-to Perth)

So from my testing I am better of using my 6year old mobile phone, instead of your modem. Not only that, I dont have to have it located in the middle of the back garden with cables strewn everywhere, totally impractical.

Obvs the modem can't live out in the back garden where it gets the best reception. Inside the house it doesnt get 4 green bars. The throughput doesn't change much, but the pings incease up to 45ms.

I've tried connecting the modem directly to my 2.5gbe equiped computer, but latency ends up at nearly 50ms. Switching to 1gbe lan ports makes no diff.

I'm a Sim racer and connect to European servers serveral times\week. The rate of disconnects for high-pings has increased while using the 5g Modem.

So clealry the 5g Modem is good in theory, but fails to deliver any performance increase over what we currently have. The only people that would see any benfit from the 5g Modem would be people who only stream shows, as its totally useless for gaming.

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

We appreciate your time posting feedback of our 5G home broadband performance, should you require assistance to return the 5G home broadband and keep the NBN connection feel free to send us a message with your details so we can arrange our Team to contact you. 

Regards,

Hi All.

I was pressured by a "nagging" TPG salesperson who would keep calling me upwards of 5 times per day for 2 weeks, to try out their new 5g wireless service.

I told the salesperson that I had reservations, as there are 3 people in our house that are gamers and low-pings are more important than maximum throughput. I was aware that trying to game off my 4G phone was doable, but pings were a big issue. Basically TPG's 5g modem is a giant mobile phone, so in theory will have the same performance.

* On our original NBN50 plan we get pings of 6ms at a maximum throughput of 43Mbits.

* On my Samsung Galaxy s7edge 4g phone i get 20ms @ 97Mbits

* On the Tpg 5g modem located outside with line-of-site to Vodafone tower and momentarily 4green bars [-117Db] I got a best of 35ms ping @ 75Mbits (over 2.5gbe Lan). Tower is 750metres line-of-sight away.

(All test used same servers locations from-to Perth)

So from my testing I am better of using my 6year old mobile phone, instead of your modem. Not only that, I dont have to have it located in the middle of the back garden with cables strewn everywhere, totally impractical.

Obvs the modem can't live out in the back garden where it gets the best reception. Inside the house it doesnt get 4 green bars. The throughput doesn't change much, but the pings incease up to 45ms.

I've tried connecting the modem directly to my 2.5gbe equiped computer, but latency ends up at nearly 50ms. Switching to 1gbe lan ports makes no diff.

I'm a Sim racer and connect to European servers serveral times\week. The rate of disconnects for high-pings has increased while using the 5g Modem.

So clealry the 5g Modem is good in theory, but fails to deliver any performance increase over what we currently have. The only people that would see any benfit from the 5g Modem would be people who only stream shows, as its totally useless for gaming.

david64
Level 15

Hi @gordmc73 . 

https://www.tpg.com.au/5g-home-broadband

Latency and gaming

5G is great for most online applications (including casual gaming), but if you require ultra-low latency where every millisecond matters (for example, professional gaming), 5G Home Broadband may not be the right fit for you.

gordmc73
Level 3

@david64 wrote:

Hi @gordmc73 . 

https://www.tpg.com.au/5g-home-broadband

Latency and gaming

5G is great for most online applications (including casual gaming), but if you require ultra-low latency where every millisecond matters (for example, professional gaming), 5G Home Broadband may not be the right fit for you.t

This is what I informed the "Salesperson" on the phone, but he assured me it would work better than my NBN50.

gordmc73
Level 3

@Shane wrote:

We appreciate your time posting feedback of our 5G home broadband performance, should you require assistance to return the 5G home broadband and keep the NBN connection feel free to send us a message with your details so we can arrange our Team to contact you. 

Regards,

Thanks Shane.

Ill go ahead and return the 5g Modem. Can you advise what i need to do.

Thanks

Shane

Hey, gordmc73.

Could you send us the account details of the 5G homebroadband service so we can check it with our team. 

@Shane wrote: 

Regards,

Thanks Shane.

Ill go ahead and return the 5g Modem. Can you advise what i need to do.

Thanks