TPG Community

Get online support

An open letter to all TPG users about email migration to The Messaging Company

Dropbear087
Level 3

I'd like to get some clarity on "6", which states:

TPG may withdraw the right for you to use your current email address when you cease acquiring services from TPG or one of our affiliates.

So TPG "may" withdraw our right to use our tpg email address via the Massaging Company whom we're now separately PAYING for that service. How the heck is that ethical or even legal if invoked?

I note that rather than use the definitive word "shall", they elected to use "may". That means they can optionally withdraw the right for us to use an email address when we are now paying some other entity to use it? That smacks of unfair practice to me. It sounds like a blatant attempt to 'encourage' customers not to abandon TPG's other services and may very well breach Fair Trading legislation if enforced. I think a valid argument would be that TPG should have no influence over further use of a previously included service that's been transferred to another company, solely for TPG's benefit.

Can I get a opinion on the above please?

alanguide
Level 8

@Dropbear087 wrote: (In part)

...So TPG "may" withdraw our right to use our tpg email address via the Massaging Company whom we're now separately PAYING for that service. How the heck is that ethical or even legal if invoked?...

Since the whole point of the TMC arrangement was that the email address would remain unchanged, it would be madness to interfere with it once migrated and TMC being paid.

Dropbear087
Level 3
Yes it would be madness to invoke that condition however that then begs the question "So why is it even there in that form?". It's understandable that they'd reserve that right during the free period until Sept 2024. However 6 doesn't state that, it's open-ended.
alanguide
Level 8

@Dropbear087 wrote:
Yes it would be madness to invoke that condition however that then begs the question "So why is it even there in that form?". It's understandable that they'd reserve that right during the free period until Sept 2024. However 6 doesn't state that, it's open-ended.

Looks like a typical solicitor's 'cover all options' device. Eg, if TMC failed it might forestall TPG beeing drwn into any action.

Dropbear087
Level 3

@alanguide

Yes, it may just be there to completely cover their backsides however why would they not simply state in the conditions that the client relinquishes any claim against TPG after they start paying TMC for the service and leave it at that? That's effectively what Condition 9 states anyway: "When The Messaging Company begins providing your email services, TPG and its affiliates will not be responsible to you in any way in connection with your email service (e.g. providing setup or troubleshooting support; security; service quality)."

So why the heck is 6 even there? To me it reads more like a threat to frighten users into not churning services away from TPG than a get-out-of-jail-free card.