TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v internet connection dropping out

BasilDV

Hi @macsinspace

Welcome to the Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and tested the line.

We weren't able to detect any fault and the modem also shows a stable connection.

If you are using a WiFi connection, then signal interference may have caused the issue.

We've created some articles that will help you on how to improve your home network.

Refer to these links:

BasilDV

Hurenkamp
Level 3

e problem is the router , they are nothing but cheap rubbish. There is no such thing as a stable WIFI signal from these routers. They have no external antennas and I can't go more than about 10 metres from the unit before I get constant drop outs on wifi. 

Shane

Hi @Hurenkamp,

The modem we provide is a world-class standard modem. We provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls. You have the option to use a high-end 3rd party modem/router for your needs and we can provide you the settings required to configure your 3rd party modem with the settings required to access the internet.

Regards,

e problem is the router , they are nothing but cheap rubbish. There is no such thing as a stable WIFI signal from these routers. They have no external antennas and I can't go more than about 10 metres from the unit before I get constant drop outs on wifi. 

AlonBerman
Level 2

I have had this issue consistantly (on IINET) but assume the issue is same here with constant dropouts. I also had an issue when uploading large files (like YouTube) that all other devices were dropped off the network. The modem's admin pages were slow and non responsive. Completely unusable.

I swapped the Archer VR1600v three times, changed extension leads, had technicians change pairs of cables, had Strata replace copper lines to my apartment all to no avail (the copper cable did seem to help).  I am on the 13th floor so assume the further you are from the FTTB the worse the issues are.

Eventually 5 days ago I upgraded to a new D-Link  AC-2300 modem with a Google Nest Mesh that can support up to 200 devices and have not had a single dropout since. 

I am a heavy user with 40+ devices including alexa, smart bulbs, ipads, phones, laptops, tv's, chromecast etc. 

Moral of the story: The modems are worth what you paid for it! 

gordmc73
Level 3

Hi

Yet another disgruntled Archer 1600v user.

I'm currently on my 3rd 1600v and it is also suffering from Internet dropouts, not just wifi, my ethernet devices also suffer dropouts.

I usually have to reboot the device to get anything to work.

Given I am now being charged $75/mo for 50mbit and forced to do Network Admin work ontop of that, particularly stings.

While typing this message on my pc, which uses Gigabit Lan connected via a managed switch into the Archer it has dropped out again. I connect to wi-fi direct to the Archer, but alas the Internet light is dimmed out on the unit and there is no web. I'm forced to tether my pc to my phone to send this message. Lucky that always works.

Another issue besides the dropouts is the increasing frequency of Archer crashes. Twice weekly we have experienced no connectivity. When we check the Archer there are no lights lit on the front, even though the device switch is turned on at the back.

Given the frequency of dropouts and increasing device crashes it would be fair to assume this router is on its last legs (for the 3rd time).

Just as an aside my network topology is as such:

Internet Connection --Archer LAN--> Mgd Switch|-->LAN -->Static IP Router 1-->Wifi--> Half house devices

|-->LAN -->Static IP Router 2-->Wifi--> Other half of devices

|--> LAN --> Gaming PC

-- Archer Wifi --> Nil devices connected to Archer wifi.

I gave up long ago trying to connect any wifi devices to the Archer. It is so flakey and unstable it just wasnt worth using. I'm even using a managed switch to do all the heavy lifting of moving those timely gaming packets around on my machine.

The Archer basically is just a modem now, and it can't even do that well.

Time maybe to look for cheaper isp with a better modem.