TPG Community

Get online support

Confused- do i need a nbn box or not?

tp6rmp4cjo4
Level 2
Hi, TPG
I just move to a new house. New house only have a WAN wall sockets, there doesn't have a phone port. (Couldn't see any nbn box)
I have a Vr1600v, but I remember I need a nbn box to connect it at my old house.
How about Ax3000 AX55 pro? Do i need a nbn box to connect to internet?
If I need a nbn box, what do I do?
11 REPLIES 11
alanguide
Level 7

@tp6rmp4cjo4 wrote:
Hi, TPG
I just move to a new house. New house only have a WAN wall sockets, there doesn't have a phone port. (Couldn't see any nbn box)
I have a Vr1600v, but I remember I need a nbn box to connect it at my old house.
How about Ax3000 AX55 pro? Do i need a nbn box to connect to internet?
If I need a nbn box, what do I do?

Lots of possibilities here.

First, how do you known they really are WAN sockets?

Do you know if your address is FTTN, FTTP,  FTTC?
It's possible that if they are really WAN sockets, the NBN NTD ("box") is in the garage or cupboard somehere, but normally it would be near your modem.

It's also possible that the previous occupant took the NTD with them; they are not supposed to!

tp6rmp4cjo4
Level 2
Hi, thanks your reply.
I just have walked around the house, I didn't see any NBN NTD.
I only can find a wall pocket for the internet in this house.
My plan is NBN FTTN Broadband SL Bundle 100, so it should be FTTN?
(The photo is the wall pocket. )
david64
Level 15

Hi @tp6rmp4cjo4 . Go to  nbnco.com.au, put in your address. It will tell you the type of  connection.

Is this a brand new house, or just another house you have moved to?

Are there ethernet outlets in other rooms or just this one?

alanguide
Level 7

@tp6rmp4cjo4 wrote:

My plan is NBN FTTN Broadband SL Bundle 100, so it should be FTTN?
(The photo is the wall pocket. )

If you are on FTTN (node) then the sockets (as David says they are Rj45) will not be WAN, but DSL, and should be connected to DSL on your modem/router. You do not need an NBN Box (that is for FTTP)

tp6rmp4cjo4
Level 2
Hi, David64
Thanks your reply.
I just checked, this house is nbn® Fibre to the Node (FTTN) has been used in your connection to the nbn network.

It is a old house I move in, I only found one ethernet outlet in the master room. I don't know why there is no others. Smiley Sad
david64
Level 15

@tp6rmp4cjo4 . Can you ask your real estate agent to find out from previous owner. 

tp6rmp4cjo4
Level 2
But the size of the port is bigger, I only can put the cable to WAN. (DSL port is smaller )

And I just searched... AX55 pro is not compatible for FTTN? So it means I can't use it?
tp6rmp4cjo4
Level 2
Do you mean ask the real estate how do they connect to internet?

I have other questions. Can Ax55 pro compatible with FTTN? I check the tplink, it is only compatible with FTTP/FTTC/HFC/UFB... but I am FTTN, what can I do?
alanguide
Level 7

@tp6rmp4cjo4 wrote:
But the size of the port is bigger, I only can put the cable to WAN. (DSL port is smaller )

You can plug an RJ11 DSL connector into the RJ45 socket