Connection speed

Neilcook3011
Level 2
I am sitting next to my modem and only one device in my house is connected to the internet. My peed test is showing download speed of just under 5 mbps. Yet when I undertake a TPG test it shows 55mbps. I have carried out over 59 self tests on my speed and it has NEVER reached 55mbps. TPG are a fraud and and lying about their download speeds. It is a disgrace
5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @Neilcook3011 

Welcome to the Community!

We tried to locate your account using your community details to no avail.

Did you test the speed via Wired or Wireless connection? What speed test site did you use that gives you a 5Mbps result? Aside from the speed test, did you experience any issues while playing videos or streaming online? 

You may try to troubleshoot the case with the help of our article: Slow speed issue

If the speed is still low, please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you accordingly.

How do I private message (PM) in the community?

BasilDV

garythomann13
Level 6

Welcome to the NBN Smiley Happy

Would suggest adding your state, suburb and postcode to the Subject to highlight your issue Smiley Happy

Mal_mod

@Neilcook3011 wrote:
I am sitting next to my modem and only one device in my house is connected to the internet. My peed test is showing download speed of just under 5 mbps. Yet when I undertake a TPG test it shows 55mbps. I have carried out over 59 self tests on my speed and it has NEVER reached 55mbps. TPG are a fraud and and lying about their download speeds. It is a disgrace

Hi @Neilcook3011 

Could you post a link to the "speed test"  you're using ?
Was this speed test via an Etherent cable or via Wireless ( i.e. the 2.4Ghz band ) ?

Upon checking, I was able to confirm you in fact do obtain 55Mbps using  the Mobile App. 

Cheers 

Mal. 

WhyNot
Level 2
Hi just wondering what the outcome was with the ombudsman and if you have potentially a case number I can give as it sounds like the same issues I have , my internet is constantly cutting out and when I run tests through 3 different test pages it says maximum of 22mbps however TPG speed says 55 when I call them the are like oh the issue is resolved now call us back if you have further issues
Ahra_G

Hi @WhyNot,

There are many factors that can affect your connection and that is why we are here to assist!  It will be a great help if the Ombudsman has committed in helping you however as a consumer, you will still be required to coordinate with us directly in order to resolve your complaints.

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area. 

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

Let us have your Customer ID or username via private message so we can assist you further. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G