TPG Community

Get online support

Constant ADSL dropouts since 3-4 days ago, Epping NSW

dartagnon
Level 2

Dear TPG,
I have been a happy TPG customer for more than 10 years, with 5 years in the current address.
Lately though I'm getting constant ADSL Line dropouts since the past 3-4 days, day and night.
My ADSL2+ line was working perfectly fine until last week. I thought it might be a temporary issue but it is continuing for too long.
I tried 2 different ADSL2 modems and brand new filters, but the same result.

Line will sync for a few minutes and authenticate successfully with PPPoE then after a while the system log shows PPP error. It tries to sync again, authenticate, establish connection, then another PPP error again. Complaining about LCP?
I can see my user ID and password works in the log, line sync speed pretty good, then PPP error comes up.
My street just got NBN enabled last week. Is that affecting my ADSL, too much of a coincidence to ignore?
I'd appreciate it if you could check the PPP authentication of my account dxxxxxxxx, and fix the cause of why PPP session is frequently invalidated please.
Both modems are TP-LINK ADSL2+ variants.

Would really appreciate your help as holidays without the internet would be very inconvenient!

Kind regards,
Jihong

15 REPLIES 15
Shane

Hi @dartagnon,

Welcome to the community!

I ran initial tests on your connection and it shows a High capacitance load on the line. Does your modem connect to a filter-splitter together with a home phone? Also, how many wall sockets do you have?

I recommend to isolate the modem alone on the wall socket and see if the dropout will still occur, else try to isolate the modem to a different wall socket.

Let me know once it is done and I will run additional tests; in case the dropouts will still persist I may need to arrange one of our Technicians to call you for further tests.

Cheers!

dartagnon
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply.

I live in a unit with just one wall socket for telephone, and yes I have been using a filter spliter. Just to eliminate the possibility of filter failure I used a brand new filter too, when the problems first occurred.

For now only the modem-router is connected to the wall. Could you please run your test again to see if anything has changed after the change on my side?

I look forward to your instructions.

Kind regards,

Jihong

Shane

Thanks for the additional details, @dartagnon.

I ran another test and the High Capacitance Load was gone after you isolate the modem/router. I recommend to monitor your connection for the next 24hrs and see if the dropout will still occur.

In case, dropouts will show on the line I may need to arrange one of our Technicians to call you for further test and investigation.

Let me know should you require further assistance.

dartagnon
Level 2
Hi Shane,

Thanks again. Good to have Internet back with stable connection.

Any suggestions as to what I need to do, to get my phone service working though?
If I leave my modem isolated I cannot use the landline phone.

Unfortunately I still need to take phone calls on my landline number.

Should I get a different type of filter? Any suggestions?

Kind regards,
Jihong
Shane

You're always welcome, @dartagnon,

As you mentioned in your initial post that you have tried to change the filter/splitter, however after my initial test it shows a high capacitance load on the line.

Is there a chance we can try a different handset? And have it connected together with the new filter/splitter to see if the higher capacitance load will still show.

Cheers!

dartagnon
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Yesterday the connection was really stable. Today not so much.

I've had many drop outs and reconnections - some connections only lasting 5-10mins.

Currently there are nothing but ADSL modem router connected (TP-Link TD-W8970) to the one and only wall telephone socket.

There are no ADSL filter-spliter, nor any phones connected.

Can you see anything on your side?

Kind regards,

Jihong

Shane

Hi @dartagnon,

Thanks for getting back with additional details. Your connection still shows multiple dropouts on the line. I'd like to arrange one of our Technicians to call you tomorrow for further test and investigation.

PM me your best contact number and preferred time.

Cheers!

Shane

Hi @dartagnon,

Thanks for sending me your details. I'd like to arrange a call from one of our Technicians today or tomorrow. Please see my response to your Private message. I will wait for your response.

Cheers!

Shane

Hi @dartagnon,

Thanks for sending me your details. I arranged one of our Technicians to call you. Please expect a call within 30-1hr from now.

Let me know how it will go.

Cheers!