TPG Community

Get online support

Disconnect the 5ghz without speed loss

JTT
Level 2
Level 2

Short end of this is my iSolarCloud app to monitor my solar power performance won't connect/work because the wireless for my inverter is 2.4ghz and apparrently the NBN router is 5. I've been told that it is dual band and runs both at same time. If I disable the 5, will my Netflix and general home speeds drop dramatically? It seems a real pain that one tech won't work at all unless I sacrifice another. The tech support for the inverter were of zero help. Hoping one of you can. Cheers. What other issues with my laptop and such will happen if I get rid of the 5 and only keep the 2.4? 

4 REPLIES 4
KarlB

Hi @JTT,

You should be able to broadcast 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time. What is the make and model of your router?

Regards,

Karl

JTT
Level 2
Level 2

Hey Karl, 

Thanks for the quick reply mate. No idea, I'm at work finishing my lunch break, but I'll jump back onto this forum when I get home and let you know. We only got it a few months back. I think that the fact it broadcasts both simultaneously is the issue, as the 5ghz is preventing the inverter's wifi from working with the app. ?? I'm the least tech-savvy dude you'll meet, so "explain like a 5 year old" tactic is good to help me. Cheers my man. 

KarlB

Hi @JTT,

If the modem/router is supplied by TPG you will find by default the 2.4GHz and 5GHz names should be different. I don’t see how it would interfere with inverter. Example the 2.4GHz will be WiFi-???? And the 5GHz will be WiFi-????-5G.

Here is a link that will help in changing your WiFi names if they are the same, and you can also disable the 5GHz in the same settings. I would recommend not disabling the 5GHz, as I find sometimes you will get less interference on the 5GHz and better performance.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/Changing-your-WiFi-password-on-your-TPG-Modem/td-...

Regards,

Karl

JTT
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks Karl. I'd used the non 5g for the inverter to connect to our wifi, and we don't use the 5g for anything in our house, nor will we ever choose to, the 4g has been just fine for all speeds we need. You're right, it does differentiate the two. One simply says -5G by memory, so we chose the other for all of our household devices ie/Fetch/Laptops/Phones/Desktop. Just for some reason that inverter dongle just won't work with the app due to the 5G. So now it makes even less sense. In any event, I appreciate your help here and your quick replies. I'll try that link tonight mate. Legend.