TPG Community

Get online support

Do I need to be home for a NBN Installation with TPG?

SOLVED Go to solution
Elss
Level 3

I have recently signed up to TPG for an NBN service.

I was wondering if I need to be at home for the services to be installed or can it be done without me being at home? Please note I am also a renter..... thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telecaster
Level 3

Hi @Elss

I was in the same scenario, I was on ADSL (with TPG) then moved to NBN FTTN - you wont need to be home for the install. TPG will use your current existing telephone details and pass it to NBN so the work will be done outside your house. My upgrade to NBN with TPG was pretty straight forward, took about a week for the whole thing to complete. Good luck with the move

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
NGPriest
Level 2

I assume that after NBN co installs the equipment, TPG can connect it without having to be on site?

NGPriest was here...
Luna
Level 5

It depends. When TPG lets you know the installation date, they also tell you whether you need to be home for it. Or you check this at www.tpg.com.au/install. 

It's all based on what Service Class the NBN Co has designated your address as, basically the amount of work involved for NBN to install the service. E.g. if there's been an NBN service installed at your address before, TPG can probably have NBN install it remotely without any tech visit. 

I'm renting too. I had a chat to the NBN tech who did the install on the day to make sure the NBN equipment was put in a place we were happy with.

JongR
Hi Elss.

In response to your query, allow me to post here the relevant information taken from the TPG NBN FAQ:

Is a technician appointment required to install the NBN service?

A technician might be required to attend to your premises to complete the installation and make sure you are connected to the NBN network. After you have submitted your order, TPG will confirm if an installation appointment is needed. If so, TPG will organise this and contact you with the appointment details.

If an installation appointment is required, you or an authorised person over 18 years of age will be required to be at the premises on the day of the technician visit. On the installation day, an NBN installer will come to your home to do the necessary work.

If your premises have an active NBN service connected previously then it is unlikely that you would require technician's visit.

I'm renting, how do I get the NBN?
For NBN Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) and Fixed Wireless, you will need to get permission from the property owner to install NBN equipment in your premises. We recommend that you discuss with your property manager or landlord about installation of TPG NBN service.

For more TPG NBN Frequently Asked Questions (and their answers), head over to https://www.tpg.com.au/nbn and scroll down the page past the NBN plan details and click on Frequently Asked Questions.

I hope this was helpful.

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Elss
Level 3

@JongRthanks for your reply.

I am not on FTTP so your answer it not helping me. I also have looked at the FAQ and I dont think its good information cause its just not telling me about my scenario.

When I used the NBN SQ I believe my premises is FTTN. I have currently got ADSL2+ and copper phone line. I am trying to work out if I need to be at home or will the NBN people so everything they need to outside my house (like in the street?)

Telecaster
Level 3

@NGPriesttheoretically you are right, keep in mind that NBN doesnt install equipment at all homes it really depends on what technology your area is serviced with. I am on NBN FTTN with TPG and I dont have any NBN equipment. I connect my modem straight to the phone socket which then connects me the NBN node located 2 streets away. Prior to me signing up for NBN I had an ADSL service with TPG and I wasnt required to be home on the NBN install date, all I needed to do was to swap to the new modem after I received the SMS confirming my NBN was installed. My mate has NBN HFC which runs on the cable network - he needed to be home on the install date because the NBN guy needed to connect this cable box for him.

Telecaster
Level 3

Hi @Elss

I was in the same scenario, I was on ADSL (with TPG) then moved to NBN FTTN - you wont need to be home for the install. TPG will use your current existing telephone details and pass it to NBN so the work will be done outside your house. My upgrade to NBN with TPG was pretty straight forward, took about a week for the whole thing to complete. Good luck with the move