TPG Community

Get online support

Does TPG plan to support IPv6 in 2023?

tonyallan
Level 3

It's now 2023, more than 23 years since IPv6 was introduced and more than a decade since "World IPv6 Launch Day". NBN supports IPv6 as it is a service offered by other NBN ISP's.

As a software developer, I need to learn about IPv6 and how to write code that supports IPv6 both on the server and also in client software.

Can TPG help me as a software developer?

10 REPLIES 10
Aubrey

Hi @tonyallan, at present, our NBN plans does not support IPv6.

Any changes on our NBN offers will be surely posted on our website.

Regards,

Aubrey 

david64
Level 15

Hi @tonyallan . You might be able to do something at the local level. Most routers support IPv6, just needs to be enabled.

If you can obtain 2 computers, configure for IPv6. You can write a server program on one computer, and a client program on the other. You won't have an ipv6 dns so you may have to use an ip address in the client program. 

There is Winsock documentation relevant to ipv6.

tonyallan
Level 3

Any suggestions on how I can test using IPv6 to a cloud server?

tonyallan
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion but I need to test AWS cloud based services.

david64
Level 15

@tonyallan . Is Teredo tunnelling still available?

tonyallan
Level 3

In theory it might be possible.

I could do this:

Client (MacOS [1] in Melbourne) -> Relay (Finland [2]) -> server to test (AWS Melbourne or Sydney).

For learning/test/support:

1. A very uncommon solution (not good if I have problems)
  2. IPv6 addresses will not match on laptop and AWS server
  3. Who knows what the performance will look like (I currently test performance with an expectation of less than 20-30 ms end-to-end) — PS: I'm looking to start using AWS Melbourne to reduce the delays in using a server in Sydney.
  4. Server HTTPS certificate unlikely to validate correctly because of the IP address change.

So far i've delayed this project for a couple of years because of lack of TPG support.

What I really need is a TPG supported solution (i.e. a local relay of some sort with HTTPS support) or at the very least a planned introduction date —at a pinch I could wait to later in 2023.

If TPG is going to be a long-term holdout, then I would like to know. I understand a business decision to hold-off for the next 10 years or so and be the ISP of choice for a mom-and-pop audience. I also understand that as a software developer my needs are probably not a business focus.

Is there someone at TPG looking at the technical strategy that I could talk to?

I'm OK using a beta service.

[1] https://www.remlab.net/miredo/intro.shtml.en

[2] https://www.trex.fi/service/teredo.htm

cxnato
Level 2
It's insane to me that TPG have ignored IPv6 for so long. The technology has existed for how many years? Unfortunately, I'm stuck with TPG being my only option, as they're the only provider available in my building. If I had a choice I would be with a provider that offers ipv6 and faster speeds.
123hjed123
Level 2

I'm also planning on leaving TPG as soon as my contract finishes because of this.

Lack of IPv6 means you don't support the standard protocols for home automation (thread, and matter). And increasingly there is software and devices that either only work on IPv6 or work much better on IPv6

Shane

We're sad to learn that you're considering canceling your service soon. At this time, we do not have an update yet with TPG-IPv6. 

We're keen to keep you as our customer, flick me a message with your details so we can discuss the details of the account.

How to send a PM?

Regards,

I'm also planning on leaving TPG as soon as my contract finishes because of this.

Lack of IPv6 means you don't support the standard protocols for home automation (thread, and matter). And increasingly there is software and devices that either only work on IPv6 or work much better on IPv6