TPG Community

Get online support

Email fails with too many addressees

SOLVED Go to solution
RayM
Level 3

I use Thunderbird for emails (currently v.102.4.2) and have expericened the occasional problem with failing to send and complaining there are too many addressees, even when there are only 23 or so and the attachment is less than 100kB. I had tried to find a solution in the past without success, but this last time I found a reference to possibly needing to change server settings to SSL/TLS and the ports. I found TPG's advice page for seting up Thunderbird and sure einough it recommended these settings. I commenced changing the settings starting with the Outgoing Server and when I changed to SSL/TLS, I noticed that the default port also changed to the recommended one that I had just entered (465). On changing the Incoming Server to SSL/TLS, Thunderbird also changed the port 995 and the default to the same. I have had no problems since, although my changes are recent. I have two questions: 1. Did I miss some advice to change these settings? (I have been with TPG for over 20 years and could not find any such advice.) 2. On your Thunderbird settings page (https://support.tpg.com.au/email-setup-thunderbird) the text advises to use Incoming Port 993, whereas the image and Thunderbird itself recommend 995 - is this significant? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RayM
Level 3

I'd just like to confirm that  have had no further isues since making the changes mentioned previously. I don't do bulk posts very often, so this may not be definitive, but all good so far.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ahra_G

Hi @RayM,

Please try checking out this article: Thunderbird ver 78.1.1 and above Troubleshooting

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

david64
Level 15

Hi @RayM . The general advice from TPG for some years was to use ports 25 and 110 with no security. With some prompting, they have changed to use security (SSL/TLS) using the port numbers you have seen.

Tick the option on Outgoing mail server for Authentication.

Changing settings like this shouldn't cure your problem with number of recipients; there might still be some problem elsewhere. 

1. As usual, TPG doesn't advertise better practices.

2. Port 993 is for IMAP mail accounts using SSL/TLS. Port 995 is for POP3 accounts.

RayM
Level 3

Thanks for your response Ahra_G, but you will see that I posted in that thread on 09-11-2020. Are you saying in effect that TPG still has not upgraded to TLS 1.2? Rather than try that old patch you suggest at present, since my email seems to be working with the new settings, I would rather wait for now and see how things go. So I gather also that I have not missed any other advice.

RayM
Level 3

Hi david64, thanks for clearing up those things. Yes I am using POP3 and I should have mentioned that.

Re the recipients problem, I found that when I reduced the number from 23 to 12 it still said there were too many, so then I tried 9 to no avail, and then I noticed that it said I could not send for another hour as I had exceeded my allowance!!! I had only successfully sent one email to one recipient with no attachment that day.

Also, I must say I am surprised and disappointed that TPG would not advise when more secure communication methods became available. I have to wonder if this is because it would be embarassing to admit that it is so late to impliment such options. Thanks again.

RayM
Level 3

I'd just like to confirm that  have had no further isues since making the changes mentioned previously. I don't do bulk posts very often, so this may not be definitive, but all good so far.