TPG Community

Get online support

Email problems using outlook and thunderbird

SOLVED Go to solution
Gregory10
Level 3

I have been having problems with not being able to send emails from my computer  on and off for months now.

I use microsoft outlook 2016 as part of microsft office package, it was suggest to me by TPG tech that outlook was the problem error message is "Server error: '550 5.7.1 <Email address here>... Relaying denied. Proper authentication required."

So I installed Thunderbird software as a possible remedy as suggested by tech, went through setting it up, system imported emails, but cannot send email error message "Sending of the message failed.
Peer using unsupported version of security protocol.
The configuration related to smtp.tpg.com.au must be corrected."

This would indicate to me that the problem is not software but a TPG problem.

I am open to suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi Gregory10.

Regarding Outlook, try turning on SMTP authentication in the connection properties; also that your email userid and password are set in properties. Consider using STARTTLS/TLS for security.

Regarding Thunderbird:

Look at this thread, the post by david1010, describes the changes for secure operation.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/TPG-email-account-inaccessible-with-Thunderbird-7...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi Gregory10.

Regarding Outlook, try turning on SMTP authentication in the connection properties; also that your email userid and password are set in properties. Consider using STARTTLS/TLS for security.

Regarding Thunderbird:

Look at this thread, the post by david1010, describes the changes for secure operation.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/TPG-email-account-inaccessible-with-Thunderbird-7...

Gregory10
Level 3

Hello David64

I now have outlook working and will go through the link to thunderbird and try.

Thank you for your assistance

Gregory10