TPG Community

Get online support

FTTB super slow. TPG speedtest exaggerates actual download speed.

SOLVED Go to solution
ronichol
Level 3
Status is new modem works. The priblem is i bought a google nest to boost the signal because the modem by itself doesn't gives strong enough signal to the downstairs living room. Now I cannot get the Google Nest router to work. Configuration of thus th in my could not be simpler, but it just will not connect with TPG. Every time it asks me to reset the modem it fails to make a connection. I have checked thus internet cable and it works with my computer. I have been trying to get this working non stop for the last 3 hours.and I am at my wits end. Just about ready to throw all this rubbish in the bin and go with Telstra.
BasilDV

Hi @ronichol

Based on the instructions in setting up the Google Nest WiFi, the main router of it should be connected via Ethernet directly to the modem/router. Once connected, you'll notice that the light of it should turn solid white to confirm that it is receiving the internet. The Google Home App should confirm that the internet is working through it.

Also, have you contacted Google support to check on the setup further? If the internet works using the new modem/router, then it should work with the Google Nest given that the setup is correct.

BasilDV

ronichol
Level 3
Hi Basil,

After about 4 hours of experimentation I worked out that the only way to get the Nest to work was to turn off both 2.4 and 5ghz wireless on the TP link router so that it would revert to being just a modem, then connect to Nest router via one of the 4 LAN ports. Then following instructions in Google home, including rebooting the TP Link when instructed.

It now works brilliantly. I have a much stronger signal throughout both floors of my townhouse.

Interestingly I am now getting close to full speed with speedof.me at aroung 80 mbps whuch before was hitting 18 mbps on a good day.

Very happy with the new setup.

Thanks for your assistance.
BasilDV

Thank you for sharing what you've done @ronichol.

We hope that this can be viewed by other that will think of setting a Google Nest WiFi to boost their connection.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Cheers!

BasilDV

ronichol
Level 3
As it turns out i do need further assistance.

Today I realised I was getting security warnings from Google saying I had more than one DHCP setup on the same network. I realised I still had DHCP on on the TPG modem while using Google Nest router. My wife's phone stopped being able to connect to our network and this looks like the problem.

To fix it I went in to the TPG modem settings via the admin interface and turned off DHCP. I then rebooted my modem as well as Google Nest router.

Now I cannot use my network at all.

I have tried everything I can think of but my network is dead. All the lights on the modem are green, but even with a direct Ethernet cable to a laptop, I cannot even get to the modem admin page due to no connection.

To make things MUCH worse, when I call TPG support i get told to call back later due to volume of calls.

To put it politely, I am PISSED OFF, with my network completely dead in the water I am NOT a happy camper!
ronichol
Level 3
90 minutes later and your phone support are STILL not accepting any calls. You also have not replied to this thread. No connection whatsoever for THREE HOURS now!
Shane

Hi @ronichol,

We apologise for the bad experience, our Hotline is currently receiving a high volume of calls. Based on latest log on file, we've seen that you have been in contact with one of our Technicians last night and proved that the service is working using our supplied TP-Link modem/router.

If you wish to use your own modem/router. You do not have to change any settings on the our supplied modem/router. You simply need to turn on the 'DHCP modem' of your 3rd party equipment.

You may visit this link for reference: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Connect-Asus-RT-AC88U-to-Hewawei-HG659/m-p/3130.

We'd like to set your expectation that we do not have any information on how to setup Google Wi-Fi. In the event that you require assistance we recommend to contact the manufacturer's support.

Regards,

ronichol
Level 3

Thats incorrect SHane. the Google Nest latest model has specific problems connecting. Google Nest does not support VLAN.

At the moment my google nest is dead in the water. I need it because your modem does not provide sufficient boost in my apartment.

I stared trying to fix this at 6PM last night and went to bed at 1:30 AM still having a broken internet.

Your rep got me to do a factory rest, set the modem to bridge mode and turn pppoe on. This simply doesn't work with Google Nest and I am pretty sure it is due to the VLAN issue.

In any case your rep diodn't know this and Google didnt know either. I still dont know exactly what to do. All I know is my network is broken and I don't trust eiother TPG support or Google support to fix it.

ronichol
Level 3

Furthermore, Google Nest is now the worlds most popular router. I would liek to set YOUR expectation that your customers should be able to get clear and simple instructions from you as to how to to configure the worlds most popular router on your network.

Shane

Hi @ronichol,

We do not have information on how to setup any 3rd party modem/router. In case you wish to use here is a guide that you find helpful. https://www.tpg.com.au/support/general_settings_fttb.

Regards,