FTTN Micronode

Taz
Level 3
Level 3

Hello. NBN have finally realised after years of complaining that they screwed up the design in our estate. It was originally slated for fibre to the premesis and half completed when the liberal/nats got in and directed them to discard all the work and go FTTN instead.....

So they have installed a FTTN micronode 3 houses up (and others in the estate). The kilometers of copper to my house goes straight under the micronode. They wired it up yesterday at least the fibre. Can't comment what if anything they did with copper. How can I ensure my service get transferred to this micronode so my NBN becomes fit(ter) for purpose. Sick of dropouts every time it rains and speed slow-downs

4 REPLIES 4
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Taz The copper pairs from your premises don’t go directly to a node, they go to the nearest pillar and are jumpered to a multicore trunk cable to the allocated node, the system is engineered so your calculated line stats fall within an acceptable range. 

Taz
Level 3
Level 3

That's a node. Full sized nodes have pillars. The micronodes have full patching inside them. There are no pillars around any of the micronodes.

orbistat
Level 8

@Taz Micronodes are designed to have a capacity of 48, it's not very likely that so many individual services will be fed down the 40mm conduit connecting the pits, a 50pair cable has a diameter of 15mm, it's still most likely that your cable will be going back to a jumpering frame whether it's above or underground.

alisterjk
Level 2

Actually not true (in terms of pillars not being used adjacent to micronodes). When NBNCo started the build, they only took possession of existing pillars but they weren't allowed to take position of Telstra's ISAM and CMUX units. CMUX units were often deployed in newer developments that were too far from the nearest exchange to get a respectable ADSL/2 sync speed.

This created a problem as it meant that some areas that were serviced by a CMUX unit were too far from the ideal location to deploy a full size node to which meant sub 25mbps down sync speeds for some users. This is now being rectified by NBNCo - a pillar will be deployed near where the CMUX unit is and then a micronode deployed near that. I've had that happen recently in my estate - a pillar appeared and then some time later a micronode. The micronode was recently activated and I went from syncing at 30mbps down to 60mbps down. Once co-existance is turned off, there should be a decent speed boost especially as micronodes run much more conservative co-existance profiles than full size nodes.