TPG Community

Get online support

Frustrated - Internet dropping out, significant ADSL2+ speed issues

emvingibbs
Level 2

Hi Community,

I have been with TPG for many years however in the past 6-12 months I have been experiencing a noticeable decline in both quality of speed and connectivity.

On or about the August 6 this year, I raised a similar issue regarding poor connection and TPG arranged for a Telstra technician call out. The problem appeared to be resolved after the technician's visit, however speeds have never been the same with a noticeable drop to diabolical download/upload speeds - sub-1Mbps in the middle of the day with no one else using the wifi in the household! (see below image).

What speeds should I be able to expect coming into the house?? Shouldn't theoretical ADSL2+ speeds max out at 24mbps? I recall about 4 years ago, the best download speed I achieved was ~6-7Mbps. This has now been ~1Mbps for 6 months+........

Also, the technician absolutely butchered the Telstra line box on the outside of the house when attending the last call out (did they have the right tools??), leaving the casing broken and unable to close properly - it appears if something was ripped out or missing....... (I was not at home so didn't supervise but gave permission - attached photo shows the extent of the damage).

The reduction in speed and intermittent connection drops have made it near impossible to complete my work (split between home and at the office) and also has affected gaming, which feels borderline dial-up speeds in the late evening.

As far as I am aware, the underground Telstra lines are fine and should be given the house and sub-division is only about 5 years old (and nothing raised from the previous technician visit).

I fear that it is no coincidence that the installation of NBN-ready boxes to the area (early/mid this year) has somehow affected the connection adversely.

I am considering replacing the modem/router (default Netcomm Wireless NB640N) but don't believe this to be the core issue.

Please address this issue once and for all, as I have been paying good money for 5 years now, and will switch to another provider to offer alternative solutions.

Regards

Vince

4 REPLIES 4
emvingibbs
Level 2

This appears to be somewhat resolved (per the attached, confirming 4Mpbs download), however I wonder if it may be due to hard reseting the modem/router a 3rd time, rather than something at the exchange/externally.

Would still appreciate some feedback in regards to the performance and technician's work done.

Regards

Vince

Erika

Hi @emvingibbs,

We would like to offer our sincere apologies for the drop outs and slow speeds you are currently facing with your connection. It is not good to hear your service isn't performing as expected.

We would be more than happy to investigate for you to see what can be done to improve your connection’s performance.

I've reviewed your previous case and understand that our Engineers has identified a physical issue with the line outside being managed by Telstra. Based on the report, the issue is due to a loose apparatus in a Telstra pillar and should have been fixed after their field technician has attended the job. I've also check the tests that was conducted previously after the visit and it has improved.

However, I've conducted series of tests now and has again identified a possible issue with the physical line. I've now escalated this case to our Engineer as a matter of priority and has requested for this to be attended ASAP.

Your experience is important to us and we will be keeping a close eye on your case and will provide you with updates where possible.

Regards,

gstebnickli
Level 2

Hi there,

Out of interest, where abouts are you located? 

I have been experiencing very similar issues: a significant drop in my level of service with some complete outages and no connection at times. These issues just so happen to have started when NBN contractors arrived in my area (North Sydney) to start installing the FTTC infrastructure, the attached photo was taken yesterday. The best TPG support could tell me is that they have noted 'additional noise' on the lines, which has caused the drop off in speeds.

Riezl

Hi @gstebnickli,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We have located the account using your community details and we can see that your concern has been raised to our Engineering Team.

As advised, they are now working on connecting the service to a different copper pair/line to check if it will resolve the issue.

A Telstra technician will be organised and you will receive further updates via email regarding the schedule.

Let us know should you have further queries. Thank you.