TPG Community

Get online support

HFC. Do I need a modem or is router okay?

SOLVED Go to solution
ackerr
Level 2

Bit confused.

I have an HFC connection and would like to replace the supplied modem/router that connects to the NBN 'Black Box'.

Do I need a modem/router or can I just plug a router into the 'Black Box'?

Looking at buying an  Asus RT-AX86U AX5700 router (no modem).

I'm aware that VOIP won't work but that is not a problem.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @ackerr . All routers for NBN have an ethernet WAN port to connect to NBN box.

Some routers also have a RJ11 port to connect to telephone socket. This is the modem function for FTTB and FTTN.

To connect a computer to NBN box needs some config changes in Windows. A router allows you to connect multiple computers and wifi devices.

Your plan needs VLAN ID=2 setting. VLAN ID is set in the LAN-IPTV section.

This iiNet article has shows how to set VLAN ID for AC68U which is similar to AX86U.

https://help.iinet.net.au/how-set-asus-rt-ac68u-nbn-hfc

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Angeli

Hi @ackerr

Welcome to TPG Community! 

You can use a 3rd party modem with your HFC connection and yes, the VOIP service won't work. Let me know if you require furher help. 

Regards, 

Angeli

ackerr
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

Still unsure if I need a modem or will a router (NO modem) work connected to the NBN Box?

I ask because my mate has Telstra HFC and he can plug his computer directly into the NBN box and it works.

No additional modem or router, only the NBN box.

Is this the same for TPG?

Thanks.

david64
Level 15

Hi @ackerr . All routers for NBN have an ethernet WAN port to connect to NBN box.

Some routers also have a RJ11 port to connect to telephone socket. This is the modem function for FTTB and FTTN.

To connect a computer to NBN box needs some config changes in Windows. A router allows you to connect multiple computers and wifi devices.

Your plan needs VLAN ID=2 setting. VLAN ID is set in the LAN-IPTV section.

This iiNet article has shows how to set VLAN ID for AC68U which is similar to AX86U.

https://help.iinet.net.au/how-set-asus-rt-ac68u-nbn-hfc