TPG Community

Get online support

High latency and slower internet speed

grlmec
Level 2

Been with TPG almost a year and recently moved house. Whilst the installation process was easy, our internet here seems a lot slower, especially with multiple devices (never had a slow issue at previous address like that), and trying to play online gaming our latency is quite high so get quite a lot of lag. Never used to be like this before moving our connection to our new address. Not happy with this and trying to get a hold of someone to speak to about is hard. Also go to conduct speed tests through the app and it comes up as unavailable at this time after trying to run it for a few minutes every single time.

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

Hi @grlmec . Some things to consider.

What type of NBN connection do you have? And at the old address?
What NBN plan speed?

What model wifi router?

To get the best indication of speed, use your ethernet computer to run the speed test on TPG's support page.  Check that other devices aren't active at the time.

From your computer, ping the router's local ip address. Response time should be about 1 ms. 

Login to router and find the router's default gateway address (a "10" address) and ping it. Response time should be several ms.

Ping tpg.com.au. Response time should be about same.

grlmec
Level 2

Hi @david64 

We have the same speed plan. This one is NBN cable 50. The other one was NBN 50 FTTN I think. This connection we had to get a NBN box where as the other one we didn't need to get the box. I think that made sense. The router being used is the one TPG supply when signing up.

I will try the ethernet test and see how that goes. Thank you for your input.

Shane

Let us conduct intiial test to the connection and see the status of the line. Could you send us PM with your details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

How to send a PM? - https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/How-do-I-private-message-PM-in-the-community/m-p/4093.

Regards,

Been with TPG almost a year and recently moved house. Whilst the installation process was easy, our internet here seems a lot slower, especially with multiple devices (never had a slow issue at previous address like that), and trying to play online gaming our latency is quite high so get quite a lot of lag. Never used to be like this before moving our connection to our new address. Not happy with this and trying to get a hold of someone to speak to about is hard. Also go to conduct speed tests through the app and it comes up as unavailable at this time after trying to run it for a few minutes every single time.

grlmec
Level 2

Hi @Shane 

The link tells me it has invalid set of paramaters?... either way i worked out how to send a message so have just done so now.

Shane

We got it! The initial test result shows no line fault and service is getting a passing speed on the line.  We refresh the session of the modem to our network please re-run a speed test (http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/)
 and post the screenshot of the test result on both Wired and Wireless. 

Hi @Shane 

The link tells me it has invalid set of paramaters?... either way i worked out how to send a message so have just done so now.

grlmec
Level 2

@Shane 

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/3124eda0-c8f1-11ec-a9a6-b74d77adfab4

thats the wireless test on my computer. just trying to find an ethernet cable to try the wired test

Shane

Hi grlmec.

How is the speed and latency of the connection?

Regards,