TPG Community

Get online support

How to diagnose a slow VPN connection?

roberttimms
Level 2

Is there a way to diagnose the cause of my slow VPN connection to my office server? I am on TPG FTTB and my regular speeds are around 90 down and 38 up, very consistent and I'm quite happy with the connection. However, when I connect to the office VPN, my speeds drop down to around 15 down and 10 up.

• I've asked colleagues (a few of which are also with TPG) and they are getting much closer to their regular speeds
  • I contacted my company IT team who have gone through everything and suggest that it is most likely ISP related
  • I have taken my laptop to a few friends places and with their connections (Telstra, AussieBB, iiNet) my speeds reach up to 60/30

I've run some tests like ping and tracert after reading some Google articles but I can't really make sense of any of it, just goes over my head.

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @roberttimms .

Is your computer on ethernet or wifi?

Are the regular speeds you state obtained when you do not use VPN? Is it TPG speed test?

Have you always had slow speed on VPN to work or has it started recently?

Do this 3 times to get an idea of network response to TPG:   tracert -d www.tpg.com.au

If your computer is Windows, look at Networking tab in Task Manager. Connect to VPN, login etc, then check if there is any background network activity that might be slowing the speed.

Do you know the ip address of your work's VPN server? Your IT team can tell you this.

Do the following when not using VPN:

ping -n 20  VPN_server_ipaddress

tracert -d  VPN_server_ipaddress

How do you determine the down and up speeds (15/10) when connected to VPN?

roberttimms
Level 2

Hi David - thanks for taking the time to look at this

Is your computer on ethernet or wifi?

Wifi, but I have tested next to the modem with an ethernet cable and the result is the same

Are the regular speeds you state obtained when you do not use VPN? Is it TPG speed test?

I was using speedtest.net, but I've just tested now with tpg.speedtestcustom.com and the speeds are the same (93/38 as of this post, and 12/6 with the VPN on)

Have you always had slow speed on VPN to work or has it started recently?

Always, but I have only just recently moved into my current apartment. Previously I was with AussieBB on HFC, no issues there

Do this 3 times to get an idea of network response to TPG:   tracert -d www.tpg.com.au

Without the VPN, I get 5 hops and all are around 12-15ms, connected to the VPN I get 12 hops, the first few rows are 65-68ms and the rest are around 100-115ms

If your computer is Windows, look at Networking tab in Task Manager. Connect to VPN, login etc, then check if there is any background network activity that might be slowing the speed.

Just checked and there is nothing really happening on the Network column

Do you know the ip address of your work's VPN server? Your IT team can tell you this.

Do the following when not using VPN:

ping -n 20  VPN_server_ipaddress

tracert -d  VPN_server_ipaddress

I don't have the IP address but I'll ask tomorrow

How do you determine the down and up speeds (15/10) when connected to VPN?

I was using speedtest.net for this also, but using the TPG speedtest the result is the same