TPG Community

Get online support

How to get Xbox Live working on TP Link Routers

BLACKPANTHERVII
Level 2

Hi, I just had the NBN hooked up yesterday and also having exact same issues, tried all the previous possible solutions and thought I had it figured out after I manually port forwarded all the ports required for Xbox live for my xbox as it seemed to of fixed it but today I am plagued with the exact same issue again and tried multiple resets of boths devices and changing IP's and the forwarded ports to new IP's etc.. and nothing works at all this time. The issues here are crazy, is there any chance the NBN box is running it's own NAT and now we are getting double NAT? I have no idea and there is no information on the internet about the NBN box at all.

Will

Hi @BLACKPANTHERVII,

Welcome to the Community!

First, I'm unable to pull up your account using your community details, in order for me to check what type of NBN service you're using. However, regardless what type of service you have, the NBN boxes (if it requires one to be installed) don't have their own NAT.

For us to have a better idea on how we can assist you with the port forwarding issue, would you be able to provide a screenshot of the error you're getting?

Regards,

BLACKPANTHERVII
Level 2

@Will wrote:

Hi @BLACKPANTHERVII,

Welcome to the Community!

First, I'm unable to pull up your account using your community details, in order for me to check what type of NBN service you're using. However, regardless what type of service you have, the NBN boxes (if it requires one to be installed) don't have their own NAT.

For us to have a better idea on how we can assist you with the port forwarding issue, would you be able to provide a screenshot of the error you're getting?

Regards,

Hi my username is my real name and rather not have in a public forum so if you want it please ask via a private message. So for the problem it's the same as everyone else here and not any different. I get Moderate NAT and can't log into Xbox Live at all via ethernet though via WiFi I can but have a strict NAT which are both useless to me. I plugged in another router that I had it worked straight away with an open NAT and can log into Xbox live fine but the problem with that device is that it does not get a high as download and upload speed at the TP Link device sadly. The Archer device has some weird issue with Xbox live and causes it not to work at all. Seriously I think the device has no more options available to try but rather it's some firmware issue maybe. I am not sure

Will

Hi @BLACKPANTHERVII,

There's no need to provide your TPG username. I only brought it up to explain that we don't have a prior knowledge of the type of NBN box you may have at the premises. As I mentioned earlier though, we can rule out the NBN box.

That being said, I need to know the settings you've set on both the xbox live and on the modem for me to check if there's something else that we can do to get it resolved.

Is it possible for you to send me a PM with the screenshots of the following:

1. IP and DNS settings for both wired and wireless shown in the xbox live.
  2. The modem interface which showed the ports you opened.

For your reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Will

Hi @BLACKPANTHERVII,

Thank you for providing the screenshots via PM.

Can you change the current DNS settings you set in the Xbox and use the following:

Primary DNS:    203.12.160.35
Secondary DNS:    203.12.160.36

After which, test the network connection to check if NAT type switched to Open.

If the above DNS failed to do the trick, try using Google's DNS:

Primary DNS:    8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS:    8.8.4.4

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Bigs
Level 3

i guess this still hasnt been resolved as Im a new customer with my xbox refusing to connect to the Archer VR1600v. Poor form TPG.

Clowndamage
Level 3
Don't worry, soon someone will be by to ask your error code and to try all the steps everyone else has already tried. Then you'll be told they're 'working on it'.
Bigs
Level 3

Pretty tardy for an obvious issue nearly 12 months unresloved!

BLACKPANTHERVII
Level 2

The contract I signed incurred a lock in contract and payment for delivery of this item. If it is not fixed ASAP I will be contacting support for a refund or adjustment of contract as this is not a working product.

Bigs
Level 3

Can the TPG engineer investigating this problem chime in on this, looks like this has been put in the too hard basket.

For the record my XBOX has an allocated IP outside the DHCP range and is placed in the DMZ yet still requires multiple booting of the Archer to get the XBOX to connect.