TPG Community

Get online support

I want to use my own router over tpg's one while having voip working through tpg's one (NBN HFC)

player47
Level 2

I basically want the my ASUS RT-AX88U to deal with all my devices but also having the landline/voip work from tpg's Archer1600v.

I only want tpg's supplied router to enable me to have a working landline/voip and nothing more while having everything else to do with the internet go through my ASUS RT-AX88U.

Does anyone know how to setup what I described above?

If yes please go into great detail since I have never been in a situation where I had to use two routers because I am forced to use tpg's router so I can have the landline/voip working.

I do not use wireless. Just wired connections.

Yes both devices work independently however when connected together the voip works but not the internet or the internet works but the voip. I need them to both work.

7 REPLIES 7
player47
Level 2

I am strongly considering changing to another ISP since I do not approved of tpg forcing their customers to their hardware to have VOIP working. I have read on many discussion sites that in the past customers were able to configure their own router to have VOIP working or buy an ATA device to enable VOIP, until tpg decided to remotely update consumers tpg's supplied routers firmware so the settings are no longer visible and tpg refuses to tell the consumer what the settings are, forcing us to use their router that they can remotely access... How bad is that? It is like tpg has a backdoor to your device and that is wrong.

Hopefully someone has a solution for this post so I do not have to change to a different ISP. Have been with tpg since 2010.

BasilDV

Hi @player47,

Welcome to TPG Community!

In order for both device to work with each other, you need to set your ASUS RT-AX88U as a normal access point. You can configure your own router as DHCP/Dynamic and connect it to 1 of the LAN port of the TP-Link router.

On this setup, the internet will work with both ASUS and TP-Link routers without sacrificing the home phone.

If you don't want to use the WiFi connection on the TP-Link router, you may disable it through the wireless settings. You may refer to this link as a guide on where to disable the WiFi.

You may check the discussions here as well.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

BasilDV

Hi @player47,

We appreciate your loyalty with us, however, the settings for our VoIP home phone is already embedded in the firmware of our supplied modem/router.

All of our competitors that provides NBN service have the same setup.

We'll forward your concern with our Management for reconsideration.

Should you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

player47
Level 2

"All of our competitors that provides NBN service have the same setup."

That is a lie. tangerinetelecom for example have non-locked routers and all I need to buy is an analogue telephone adapter (ATA) to get the phone/VOIP to work.

BasilDV

Thank you for the information @player47.

However, TPG NBN VoIP home phone settings is not available as it is already in our modem firmware.

Back to the setup of your ASUS router. Instead of using a PPPoE connection, you need to set it up as Dynamic/DHCP.

Are you able to post a screenshot of your router interface for us to guide you further?

Regards,

BasilDV

User1928
Level 3

Sorry you are wrong!

It is a PPPoE connection!

soulmate01
Level 2

I am having same issue, My LAN ports on my supplie router do not work. I want to make the TPG Router a normal device so that the VoIP will work.. I dont mind keeping the TPG box to do the VoIP.. I just need it to work. 

Thanks