TPG Community

Get online support

Internet keeps dropping out when connecting to a company VPN

nfree
Level 2

Hi TPG Community, 

for the past few months, my internet has been frequently dropping out when I connect to my workplace VPN. This has been happening to my friend living with me as well when she connects to her workplace VPN. 

The only solution is to reset the router each time this happens but sometimes I have to reset it multiple times a day which is very frustrating and interrupts my work. 

When I connect to the VPN using my portable wifi or mobile hotspot it works with no issues. If I'm off the VPN I have no issues. 

My modem is Archer VR1600v2

can you please advise your tech support/engineering team and help to sort out this issue

15 REPLIES 15
david64
Level 15

Hi @nfree . What type of NBN connection do you have and what plan speed?

Do you use ethernet or wifi for your work?

If wifi, what wifi connection speed do you get? Do you use same wifi band or one on each?

When you have these dropouts, what happens to the Internet light on VR1600?

Can you check in router for Bandwidth Control. Is it enabled and is there a value for Upstream Bandwidth?

When you are not connected to VPN, run the speed test on TPG support page. Does the graph on the upload test go smoothly or does it stop and start? What speeds do you get.

Out of interest, could you both run speed test at same time without VPN. Just click GO at same time. How did it go?

nfree
Level 2

Hi @david64 

Thanks for your quick response! Smiley Very Happy. Answers to your questions are below:

What type of NBN connection do you have and what plan speed?

I believe it is fibre to the curb and I am on the NBN 100 plan

Do you use ethernet or wifi for your work?

wifi

wifi connection speed do you get? Do you use same wifi band or one on each?

both 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz. The speed tests results at the moment are 38.3 mbps download, 0.08 mbps upload (2.5Ghz), 86.0 mbps download and 12.1 mbps upload.

When you have these dropouts, what happens to the Internet light on VR1600?

all lights are up like usual

Can you check in router for Bandwidth Control. Is it enabled and is there a value for Upstream Bandwidth?

Bandwidth control is enabled with the upstream value of 19800 kbps 

When you are not connected to VPN, run the speed test on TPG support page. Does the graph on the upload test go smoothly or does it stop and start? What speeds do you get.

interestingly on the TPG speedtest (http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/) - graph uploads smoothly, 53 mbps download but 0 upload. If i use ookla speed test - 46.53 mbps download and 17.35 mbps upload. 

Out of interest, could you both run speed test at same time without VPN. Just click GO at same time. How did it go?

roughly the same.

david64
Level 15

@nfree . FTTC uses a white NBN box with 4 blue lights.

The bandwidth control is correct for your plan speed (100/20).

The wifi connection speed is a property of the connection icon between laptop and router. It will differ between 2.4G and 5G, and with distance from router.

Can you connect a laptop to router using ethernet without VPN and run speed test? This gives best indication of speed.

When dropout occurs and Internet light stays on, can you use another device to see if you can access  tpg.com.au. This is to check that router is displaying its status correctly.

When dropout occurs, check the VR1600 System Log for that time. You can save the log on your computer, then copy and paste text from around that time in your reply here.

Can you ask your work IT section if they are getting any errors around those times? 

dylcrupi
Level 2

Hello, I am also having this issue, I was advised by a TPG rep on the phone to change LAN DNS settings but that hasn't solved the problem. If there is a solution to this do let me know thanks.

Shane

Hey, dylcrupi.

Could you send us your details so we can check the status of the connection and get to the bottom of this.

Regards,

Hello, I am also having this issue, I was advised by a TPG rep on the phone to change LAN DNS settings but that hasn't solved the problem. If there is a solution to this do let me know thanks.

adsl
Level 3

i have same issue . my etherrnet will say i am still connected but i cannot access web. it also happens when i use wifi connection. this whole issue is new.never ever had issues til now

Shane

Let us check the status of the connection and get to the bottom of this, could you send us your details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

i have same issue . my etherrnet will say i am still connected but i cannot access web. it also happens when i use wifi connection. this whole issue is new.never ever had issues til now

adsl
Level 3

My issue happens when I connect via VPN and start downloading. I lose my ethernet connection, however wifi works . I then connect via wifi band the same thing happens. i then have to reboot moden to get back internet access

thx

BasilDV

Hi @adsl

The account that is linked to your account is inactive.

We'd like to look into your account for better understanding of the situation.

Shoot me a PM with your new TPG username or customer ID number.

BasilDV